+1

Does overfilling the oil decrease speed?

So I read a post about loss of power and GIO and someone posted that having too much oil can affect your speed. I just sucked about 1 1/2 quarts of extra oil out of my 06 FX HO because the guy I bought it from had overfilled it and I'm wondering if I should take it to the lake and test it out to see if I gain any speed. The weather here in Maine is chilly with drizzle so I don't really want to head out on the waverunner but now I'm curious.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaird4000 View Post
    So I read a post about loss of power and GIO and someone posted that having too much oil can affect your speed. I just sucked about 1 1/2 quarts of extra oil out of my 06 FX HO because the guy I bought it from had overfilled it and I'm wondering if I should take it to the lake and test it out to see if I gain any speed. The weather here in Maine is chilly with drizzle so I don't really want to head out on the waverunner but now I'm curious.
    yes it does.

+1
    I hear people say if you aren't running on the lower quarter of the hash marks on the dipstick, you can't hit max RPMs. I've heard that across platforms but have never seen any proof of it.

+1
    Interesting...thanks for the responses. I'll take it to the lake tomorrow with my GPS and test it out now that it's no longer overfilled. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

+1
    06 FXHO will not have performance affected specificaly due to too much oil running around the block. If overfilled, the oil breather will deposit oil into the airbox, which in turn will saturate the air filter. It is not always easy to see if the filter is saturated so to check, remove filter & go for a quick ride & check performance. If the oil tank is way overfilled then the plugs can tend to foul also.

+1
    The OEM air filters on our old FX models were notorious for clogging up with oil and killing speed.
    Take a GPS test on your ski, then remove the air filter element and retest with GPS, see what you get.
    We finally dumped the OEM filters and got the Riva power filters for them.

+1
    So I just got back from the lake testing my ski after removing 1 1/2 quarts of excess oil. Prior to the ride I checked the air filter ([email protected]) to make sure that it wasn't clogged...it wasn't. Surprisingly it was bone dry, only has 10 hours of use. After riding for 5-10 minutes I did a few 3/4 mile long runs at WOT. The water was calm and flat for the most part with 2-3 inch chop in some of the wider areas of the lake. Temp was 77 and elevation was 169. The best gps reading I got was 61 mph. Prior to removing the excess oil the best I had achieved was 58. There were a few different variables however this time out. 1) I didn't have a passenger (145 lbs) 2) I had 1/3 of a tank of fuel vs the normal 1/2 tank 3) the temp was 9 degrees cooler than when I normally test. Taking everything into consideration I think my gains were more than likely attributed to weight than oil level. It was nice to achieve a gps confirmed 61 on a N/A mr1. I was taching 9800 due to the solas 14/20. How many mph do you think I could gain from a repitch netting me 10300 RPM's? (r&d filter, r&d stacks, riva ff exhaust, solas 14/20 w/new wear ring, stock plugs installed.

Just picked up 04 FX HO and interested in same/similar mods.

this is a common occurrence at our shop: 10mm spark plugs= change plugs every 30-40 hours or every year. follow the fsm and all is well. like stated above, have your final oil level between the hash marks of L & H. enjoy your ride, i love that engine!

Thread Information