Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question 2002 Polaris Genesis engine is getting hot and locking up in the water

hi i need help i have a 2002 Polaris Genesis that i just put a new engine in. that all started with it stalling in the water for no reason, it would start right back up and in a few min die again.

i found that the engine was hot to touch and even the driveshaft coupler so i had the engine looked at and he said the driveshaft was bad and the pistons were bad as well.

so i got a new engine and I'm having the same problem its getting real hot after only a few mins of driving and stalling, the driveshaft coupler was not even turning, but came loose with a punch of the start button. plus is hot as well.. please help

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Just to be clear;

Old engine was hot to the touch and stalling.

Technician diagnosed the drive shaft was bad and the pistons were bad.

You now have a new engine installed. When running it in the water the new engine is also getting hot and stalling. In addition, the drive shaft coupler is not turning?

Have I got ths correct?

yes that is right, old engine was getting hot and couler to and own is is doing the same to the new engine i gess this means it wasn't the engine

now i just went through the water system and found no blocks in the tubes i found a bet of dirt in the little screen filter at the muffer, but that after it go through the engine im gessing.. i open up the thermostat that had too, pieces of somethings hard in it. im not shore if it was jamming the pop off valve.. the thermostat, needs to be replaces.. do you think this would make the engine so hot and stall..

+1
    Blockage inside the thermostat housing is not good.

Also check the water inlet screen inside the jet pump nozzle. It is a small back plastic mesh square on the inside of the nozzle.

When the cooling system is working properly you shoud be able to put your hard on any part of the engine or exhaust without burning your skin. It should be very warm but not so hot that you can not touch it.

+1
    The drive shaft coupler is a bonded rubber unit. It should not have any slippage and it should not get hot.

hi i check the pump screen its clean as it comes. the coupler im talking about is right on back of the engine with the wrist berrings in it the driveshaft set in there thats what get hot as will and something there is locking up and stop the engine.. i was wondering if the engine is hot will this stick this is driving me crazy i have so much money in this i would never beable to sale it, not that i would now i no more about it then anything lol i checked the impaller and houing and they look great

+1
    Is the engine getting oil? I would check that I have seen yamahas do the samething when the oil lines fail.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by travis ingram View Post
    ... The coupler im talking about is right on back of the engine with the wrist berrings in it the driveshaft set in there thats what get hot as will and something there is locking up and stop the engine..

i was wondering if the engine is hot will this stick ...

...i checked the impaller and houing and they look great
    If the engine is getting hot then that is one problem.

If something in the drive line is getting hot that is a separate problem.

If the impeller is not turning properly that is also a seperate problem.

There are no wrist bearings in the driveline. Please refer to the diagram in the next post and tell us which part is getting hot.

When the machine is in the water and before it overheats, does it actually work? Does it go as fast as you expect it to?

+1
    This is the driveline diagram for the 2002 Genesis.

You can find parts diagrams for every section of every Polaris at this web site;
    http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344740411.673777.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	280198

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information