Unhappy Bimini stole 3-4mph on the top end

And that's with it closed. Didn't quite take that into consideration before I said "yes" to the bimini. Negatively effects high-speed turns too. That thing is coming off until July, hopefully I can get $600 of use out of it then. Before I take it off, I'll GPS the exact effect with it open, closed, and off, next time we get a warm, windless day down in FL.

Yeah you gotta lose it!!!! Being on a boat your supposed to be in the sun anyway... Hell I'm thinking of getting rid of the dam seat cushions and engine hatch.... NEED MORE SPEED BABY!!!!!!

Wasn't as bad as I thought afterall...

2007 Speedster 150 SCIC
    GPS average of several upwind/downwind runs
    Temperature: 65 degrees
    Wind: Light, 1-3mph

Bimini closed: 55.7 mph
    Bimini open: 56.0 mph
    No bimini: 57.0 mph

So, I'll leave it off until summer, but at least it won't hurt as much putting it back on. By then, I'm sure I won't mind trading 1mph for a little retreat from the Tampa Bay sun.

I was thinking the bimini was messing with my turning abilities, but now that I have the bimini off, it looks like that is probably due to the dealer adjusting my steering.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    2007 Speedster 150 SCIC
    GPS average of several upwind/downwind runs
    Temperature: 65 degrees
    Wind: Light, 1-3mph

Bimini closed: 55.7 mph
    Bimini open: 56.0 mph
    No bimini: 57.0 mph

So, I'll leave it off until summer, but at least it won't hurt as much putting it back on. By then, I'm sure I won't mind trading 1mph for a little retreat from the Tampa Bay sun.

I was thinking the bimini was messing with my turning abilities, but now that I have the bimini off, it looks like that is probably due to the dealer adjusting my steering.
    Which dealer are you using?

No dealer, at least not one I'd recommend to anyone but my worst enemy. Bought from Xtreme in Riverview. To be fair, they said the boat would be delivered in one week, and it was. They also did a competent job installing the bimini. But it would be quite a long list of what they've done very wrong. I'm positive there are some very good dealerships around, but one like that, you're pretty much paying $85/hr to have some kid making $7-$8/hr "learn" how to work on your boat. Compared to a car or airplane, the jetboat is such a simplistic design, I really don't mind working on it myself. I wouldn't know a quarter of what I do, though, without this site. Still waiting for BRP to publish the '07 Service Manuals. I'm over in Lakeland, and have talked to the head of Sea-Doo service there; seems like a decent guy, so I'd be taking it there, if I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    No dealer, at least not one I'd recommend to anyone but my worst enemy. Bought from Xtreme in Riverview. To be fair, they said the boat would be delivered in one week, and it was. They also did a competent job installing the bimini. But it would be quite a long list of what they've done very wrong. I'm positive there are some very good dealerships around, but one like that, you're pretty much paying $85/hr to have some kid making $7-$8/hr "learn" how to work on your boat. Compared to a car or airplane, the jetboat is such a simplistic design, I really don't mind working on it myself. I wouldn't know a quarter of what I do, though, without this site. Still waiting for BRP to publish the '07 Service Manuals. I'm over in Lakeland, and have talked to the head of Sea-Doo service there; seems like a decent guy, so I'd be taking it there, if I had to.
    Haha, I know what you mean. I was asking because I thought you were using a dealer to do work for you and wanted to steer you away from one in Clearwater that couldn't fix a sandwich. I do all of my own work other than warranty needs.

I don't see any differences between '05 & '07 so if you need something specific from the manual let me know, I could scan the page(s) and post it.

I appreciate that, I might have to take you up on that offer if I get stuck on something. So far, I've been able to figure out anything I need from BRP's parts site, that has schematics of every part in the boat. At this point, I'm not even sure how much value I'm even going to get out of a service manual, but I'll buy it anyway. Very few differences between each year's models, but a primary one is, they put the digital LCD instruments on the '07.

Thanks again- Scott

I ordered a bimini top and a cover for my boat when i ordered it..

DOes anyone have a picture of there bimini top open?? i actually am not sure what they even look like!

Can you get the back hatch open with the bimini down??

heres one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedster_200_bimini.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	19847  

Thread Information