Thread: Milky oil

+1

Milky oil

I just installed a rebuilt motor into a 15F. The crankcase fills with milky oil after just a few minutes of running. I changed the oil cooler, and it did the same thing. What else can I check before I pull the motor and send it back?

Thanks

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Running on hose? You start motor, start hose, stop hose, stop motor, right?

There are a few other reasons; Head gaskets, etc. None are good. I would return it.

More info is always helpful.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    and where did this wonder motor come from.....? I need a 15f engine myself...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I just installed a rebuilt motor into a 15F. The crankcase fills with milky oil after just a few minutes of running. I changed the oil cooler, and it did the same thing. What else can I check before I pull the motor and send it back?

Thanks
    Bad head gasket or cracked head.

+1
    It runs fine on the hose, and it didnt seem to start making oil until I ran it wide open for a few seconds in the water. I didn't have the hose on the top of the catch can, and I was running with the seat off. After a short wide open throttle, I saw milky oil coming out of the catch can. I checked the dip stick, and the crankcase was full. I drained the oil, and flushed it with clean oil. Then I changed the oil cooler out with one that I knew was was good. Ran it on the hose for a few minutes and didn't notice it making oil. I then put it back in the water, ran it easy for a little while and didn't notice anything. I ran it wide open, and the catch can started squirting out milky oil.

Other than running a cooling hose to an oil drain, is there anything else I could have installed wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    It runs fine on the hose, and it didnt seem to start making oil until I ran it wide open for a few seconds in the water. I didn't have the hose on the top of the catch can, and I was running with the seat off. After a short wide open throttle, I saw milky oil coming out of the catch can. I checked the dip stick, and the crankcase was full. I drained the oil, and flushed it with clean oil. Then I changed the oil cooler out with one that I knew was was good. Ran it on the hose for a few minutes and didn't notice it making oil. I then put it back in the water, ran it easy for a little while and didn't notice anything. I ran it wide open, and the catch can started squirting out milky oil.

Other than running a cooling hose to an oil drain, is there anything else I could have installed wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    there a a few hose that you can put on wrong that will put water into the sump

I would start with a 100% check that water only goes threw the correct fittings

Waz

+1
    Other than the 2 lines on the bottom of the pan, and the breather valves, what else would put water into the engine? I changed the seals in the output cover before installing it.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    LH rear corner of cylinder to crankcase their is a oil return line

catchcan return

VC lines as you mentioned

just ensure they are all OK dont assume is all I am saying

Waz

Where did you get the motor from? SBT?

+1
    I found the problem, and it was my fault. I installed the cooling cover on the PTO mag cover upside down. It mounted up perfectly, and Ithink the dowel pins also fit in place. This was my first 15F, and I didn't notice it until a friend pointed out that the bolt holes for the pto cover were supposed to face up. We were able to slide the engine foreward, and unscrew the the pto coupler far back enough to pull the cooling cover and the Magneto cover off far enough to drain the water out. after it dries overnight i'll bolt everything back up and check it out again. Thats why it didn't leak until I ran it hard. I'm sure the rear main oil seal is fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Information