Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Farthing Ride Plate vs. Jim's Modified VX Ride Plate Data

Did some back to back testing today between an unmodified Farthing plate and a Jim's Performance modified VX plate. I made all the runs within one hour and here are the results:

Farthing Plate with the stock FZR spacers- 87.0 mph
    98 degree intake air temperature, 9050 rpm, and 19.5 psi. First run of the day.

Farthing Plate with stock spacers removed and a 0.055 thick shim in the back bolts- 86.7 mph
    100 degree intake air temperature, 8950 rpm, and 19.3 psi

Jim's Performance modified VX Plate and 0.055 thick shims in the back bolts- 88.6 mph
    103 degree intake air temperature, 8950 rpm, 19.6 psi

Outside air temperature was 95+ degrees and humid, typical Houston day in August. Ski had half a tank of gas and I ran all runs with neutral trim.

Ski has a 5830 Precision Turbo, MoTeC, built motor, and a Rotax 16 vane pump.

The comparison between the Farthing plate with and without the stock spacer surprised me, I think the 87.0 speed was solely from being the first run of the day (hence the higher rpm) before the inside of the hull became heat soaked. I will test this again within the next week. I tried to start the test runs with as close to possible intake air temperatures, but 90 degree water and lots of boat traffic made this difficult.

As we all knew the VX plate is the best for top speed, but the Farthing plate handles WAY better.

Next weekend I will test a stock plate, R-D plate, Jim's VX plate, and the Farthing Plate back to back and post results.

Bill

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    This plate looks better and better untouched than a cut VX plate. Im getting ready to order the Farthing plate!

+1
    the Farthing plate is amazing when it comes to handling, i really missed it today on the SJR, but soon enough i'l have Josh's modded plate and my own to test against each other.......

+1
    Cant wate for my farthing to rock up, i fitted up a r&n intake and gained 1mph ??? Was stoked

+1
    Having done it myself a few times, I know doing multiple plate swaps on a hot day at the ramp isn't much fun.
    We appreciate you taking the time & effort to do the comparison!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Having done it myself a few times, I know doing multiple plate swaps on a hot day at the ramp isn't much fun.
    We appreciate you taking the time & effort to do the comparison!
    Thank you! I will try today to do some more back to back testing with the Farthing plate- with and without the stock spacers.

I also intend to do a test between stock, R-D, VX, and the Farthing plate on the same day. Then I will send the Farthing plate to Jim to be modified.

+1
    The ride plate area is much more important than many owners realize.
    I understood this better the first time we swapped ours out.
    Great information, thanks for doing this.

+1
    I did some more testing yesterday with the Farthing ride plate:

Farthing plate with stock spacer plates and no shims to change the angle of the ride plate- 88.0 mph
    96 degree intake air temperature, 9020 rpm, and 19.5 psi. FULL FUEL TANK.

With the stock spacer plates removed and 0.055 worth shims in the back bolts the ski would never go over 87 mph. Even though the spacer plates lower the ride plate 0.080 it is always faster than adding angle with shims to reduce bounce.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Farthing plate to mount parallel to the transom and the front of the pump tunnel. After an hour of grinding/slotting the bolt holes the plate is "Square" or straight compared to the hull and transom. I also had to go to allen headed bolts and make slotted washers. I have three other plates and they all fit properly, the Farthing was way off.

Even after getting the ski fully heat-soaked I could go over 87 mph every time. It's nice to have a ride plate that handles very well and still able to hit high 80's. When the weather cools down I will go 90 mph with this plate.

Bill

9. +1 by:

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx 250X View Post
    I did some more testing yesterday with the Farthing ride plate:

Farthing plate with stock spacer plates and no shims to change the angle of the ride plate- 88.0 mph
    96 degree intake air temperature, 9020 rpm, and 19.5 psi. FULL FUEL TANK.

With the stock spacer plates removed and 0.055 worth shims in the back bolts the ski would never go over 87 mph. Even though the spacer plates lower the ride plate 0.080 it is always faster than adding angle with shims to reduce bounce.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the Farthing plate to mount parallel to the transom and the front of the pump tunnel. After an hour of grinding/slotting the bolt holes the plate is "Square" or straight compared to the hull and transom. I also had to go to allen headed bolts and make slotted washers. I have three other plates and they all fit properly, the Farthing was way off.

Even after getting the ski fully heat-soaked I could go over 87 mph every time. It's nice to have a ride plate that handles very well and still able to hit high 80's. When the weather cools down I will go 90 mph with this plate.

Bill
    Nice work man. Good to hear that this plate performs well right off the shelf. Crazy that its even faster with the stock FZ spacers too.

+1
    bill, thank you very much for sharing your results with the farthing plate

my question is, did you try the farthing without any shims or spacers just bolted straight to the hull?

and with the farthing plate bolted on using the oem spacers, is there a step from the transom to the plate? in other words can you add the 0.055 worth of shims to the front bolts instead of the back? or will the front of the plate hang lower than the transom?

thanks
    jorge

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information