Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

can't sync center carby sl650

So I'm about to pull my hair out, I can not seem to get the center carb on my 92 sl650 even close to syncing with the mag and pto carbs. I can get it about an eighth of an inch and that's it (from where the other 2 are when they are synced using the drill bit method from the stop plate), no matter how I adjust the center I can' t get it any closer to the stop, it' s almost like the linkage is bent. Has anyone else struggled with this? Wondering if maybe I can add spacers, or a longer adjustment screw....but why is it so far out of wack in the first place? No wonder the I can't get much rpm out of her. I didn't have this issue when I adjusted the carbs on my other ski (same model and year). Any thoughts or tricks anyone might have?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Pics might help.

I think you need to make sure the carbs are aligned on the engine properly with that year.

Have you thought about getting a newer set of carbs that come all mounted to the rack? They are pretty chaep for used sets now.

That's a good thought, about getting a rack with carbs already mounted on it, I was trying to get away with the sync with the carbs still attached to the engine in the hull, I know the carbs need to be rebuilt pretty badly as it is so I think I'll pull 'em, rebuild, then try syncing again. I may be looking for a newer set of carbs in the near future, I was unaware you could get them as a set already rack mounted. Do you know if anything on the engine side has to be modified to get the newer rack mounted carb sets to fit on a '92?

+1
    Does the '93 SL650 & 750 share the "inferior" carbs with the '92 SL650?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polarisitis View Post
    That's a good thought, about getting a rack with carbs already mounted on it, I was trying to get away with the sync with the carbs still attached to the engine in the hull, I know the carbs need to be rebuilt pretty badly as it is so I think I'll pull 'em, rebuild, then try syncing again. I may be looking for a newer set of carbs in the near future, I was unaware you could get them as a set already rack mounted. Do you know if anything on the engine side has to be modified to get the newer rack mounted carb sets to fit on a '92?
    I have a spare "rack" and one piece intake manifold form a 94 that I can get to you for a bargain if you are interested. I don't know if the carbs are really that different for the earlier years vs. the mounting methodology.......

Thanks Chris, hold that thought, I may want to get that carb set from you depending on how my upcoming tune goes this weekend, I plan on pulling the carbs and starting over. One question though, I see the old spec's for the highs and lows on the '92 show Hi speed screws MAG 7/8 CEN 3/8 PTO 5/8, and lows 1/4 turn, my question is since I now have the triple outlet pump installed, should my carb adjustments be closer to some of the later years (example '94 sl650 shows Highs all the same at 1 turn, and lows at 1 1/4) since there technically should be the same amount of fuel going to each carb vs. the old stock pump system? I just want to make sure I begin at a good starting point and do it correctly. Thanks in advance guys

+1
    There wasn't technically anything wrong with the original pumps per se. The trippple outlet pump gives plenty of flow and ensures that it gets to each carb, without the others interfering. You settings should be the same, a little fatter if you want to err on the side of caution.

8. +1 by:

You always know, that's why I ask That answer's my question perfectly!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I have a spare "rack" and one piece intake manifold form a 94 that I can get to you for a bargain if you are interested. I don't know if the carbs are really that different for the earlier years vs. the mounting methodology.......
    That's the route I would take.

Those single piece intake manifolds can be a PITA.

Thanks guys for the great tips, I ordered the carb mount plate from Chris to assist me when I go to sync and reinstall the carbs....thanks Chris!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information