Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Loud Squeal and then Smoke

The damage absorbed by my red RXT 215 during my recent auto accident appeared to be minimal. After the accident I removed the fuel rail and sprayed some XPS into the cylinders because I was afraid it would be sitting for a while. Tonight I removed the broken reverse gate and then fired up the ski. It started up normal for about half a second and then let out a loud squeal so I immediately turned it off. Excess smoke seemed to come from the exhaust/pump area along with a definite burning scent. I removed the pump hoping that perhaps the accident bent the pump just slightly and caused a problem with my bearing, but the pump did not seem to have a burnt scent and it came out with ease. So next I held the throttle to WOT and held the start button for just a second. The sound it made did not sound normal. Could the accident have damaged the motor internally?

+1
    I should note that this ski did not hit the ground but did absorb most of the initial blow. The only visible damage was on the rear-boarding ladder, a busted reverse gate, and a gelcoat gouge from when the ski turned sideways and hit the winch roller.

+1
    Sounds like possible sc bearing failure. But, did you check the engine alignment and make sure the engine did not move back and now possibly trashed your thrust bearings?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Sounds like possible sc bearing failure.
    Will the wheel still stay locked if the bearing is gone? Or does a free spinning SC wheel only happen with washer failure?

+1
    fire it up again without the pump or driveshaft, even if the pump/driveshaft did push on the crank too hard it wouldn't have made that kind of noise, for it to have caused any motor damage, it would have busted busted the hull very badly, i'm going to be in sebring next weekend, i might try to get enough time to come visit you for a minute or two.......... if your HOA allows my type in the hood !!!!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    Will the wheel still stay locked if the bearing is gone? Or does a free spinning SC wheel only happen with washer failure?
    Free spinning sc wheel is from washer failure. If bearing failed the wheel may be locked and not have any play back and forth but depends on what bearing let go and how bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Sounds like possible sc bearing failure. But, did you check the engine alignment and make sure the engine did not move back and now possibly trashed your thrust bearings?
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, maybe the engine moved back in the accident? If it did and you started it, it would only take 30 seconds and its done.

+1
    my best opinion is if the veturie, steering nozzle and wasn't detroyed, then the driveshaft didn't get shoved into the motor, just my thoughts......

+1
    SC has slight play back and forth in the gear but it's definitely not moving. I'd be surprised if the SC bearing went out, that SC only has about 40 hours on it (although it's obviously possible). I didn't even think to check motor alignment, simply because I didn't think this ski absorbed that much of a hit, but now that you've mentioned it, I'm betting that might be the case.

My knowledge stops once I get to the internals of the motor. If alignment killed the bearings, how screwed am I? And how much is it going to cost to repair? What's the next step to diagnose this for sure?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    fire it up again without the pump or driveshaft, even if the pump/driveshaft did push on the crank too hard it wouldn't have made that kind of noise, for it to have caused any motor damage, it would have busted busted the hull very badly, i'm going to be in sebring next weekend, i might try to get enough time to come visit you for a minute or two.......... if your HOA allows my type in the hood !!!!!!!!!
    Haha I don't think the HOA will mind too much. They're already too focused on my lawn anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    my best opinion is if the veturie, steering nozzle and wasn't detroyed, then the driveshaft didn't get shoved into the motor, just my thoughts......
    Steering nozzle was good, but the reverse gate that attaches to the steering nozzle was destroyed. The rest of the pump looks good. The prop spins normal, and there are no cracks in the pump area/tunnel.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information