07 rxp 215 cavitation. Please help.

Today while at the lake I let a friend unhook my ski and he left the strap on the water (yeah I know). Sure enough, the strap got sucked in and rolled up on the driveshaft until it broke off. I noticed when I went to ride it because it didn't want to plain. I pulled the ski out, undid the strap from the shaft, put it back on the water and still couldn't get it to plain. By mistake I gave it gas while turning and got on plain right away. Top speed and acceleration appear to be just fine after plain. I bought the ski used not so long ago so I don't know if it's been missing the boot that goes in front of the impeller or if the strap made it come off somehow. I'm also not sure if this will cause it to capitate on the first place. So I took the pump off and the wear ring is stainless and looks fine.the impeller also looks ok. There are two holes on the bottom of the pump housing which one is blocked with 5200 and the other one isn't . Once again not sure if this can be the problem. Im a member in several forums so I know exactly how annoying double posting is but I've look all over and can't find anything other than wear ring and carbon seal. Any help will be appreciated it. Thank in advance.

+1
    Not having an impeller nose cone will not cause your ski to cavitate, but if it has walked up the shaft, this will. Something worth checking.

The nose cone is still there. What I was referring to is a boot that goes in the front side of the impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Not having an impeller nose cone will not cause your ski to cavitate, but if it has walked up the shaft, this will. Something worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanko View Post
    The nose cone is still there. What I was referring to is a boot that goes in the front side of the impeller.
    Yes, this is what he is referring to also.. if it is the middle of the driveshaft and not threaded into the impeller it will cause cavitation or even worse it can walk up the shaft and take out your carbon seal. You can run without it too if you ride freshwater only..

I see. Well it's not there at all. It's gone. I ride mostly ocean since I'm in south Florida but this happened at the lake which is where I tune/ flush.

+1
    Is the pump seal in good shape that goes between the pump and pump shoe on the ski? It's a black neoprene gasket that sits on the pump

+1
    Where are these holes?? If they are before the prop, it will cavitate like crazy........We Need a picture.

There should be NO holes in the pump

Thread Information