First PWC VXR or FX HO

I am looking at a FX HO and a VXR for a first ski. I will be using it mostly in Clear Lake, TX. You get moderate chop and some pretty large boat wakes from the offshore boats. I have read the FX HO has a better ride but I was wondering how rough the VXR is. The lower cost and extra speed does appeal to me. I have one child who will be with me most of the time. Any advice from current owners of a VXR or FX HO would be much appreciated.

+1
    I have a VXS but I don't think I have any good input because I ride solo. If I was forced to ride two up regularly I'd want the biggest, most cushy couch I could find.

+1
    Just got rid of my matching 2011 VXR's for matching 2012 SHO's. I LOVED the VXR for normally aspirated power, sound and looks, but they plain suck in waves and big chop-------not fun at all. I ride on Missouri River reservoirs and other big lakes, and got tired of looking for calm water for the VXR to ride in. It is a completely different story with the bigger SHO. You can ride anywhere with it, and you will feel much better with the kids or wife on it. More comfortable also. Wish I could have both but I couldn't. Extremely happy with the switch. Trading is costly, so try to ride both and make the right choice for YOU the first time.

+1
    For a more comfortable ride I would be leaning towards the FX HO espcially if you will have a child on board most of the time. If you were mostly riding solo, the lower cost and extra speed & agility of the VXR would make the VXR a better option.

+1
    Well I ride with a 6 and 8 year old a lot in Lake Ontario and if it gets really choppy I do not take them out but most of the time it is fine and they have fun...So my experience as long it is not too ruff the VXR is just fine plus when you do get out on your own you can really get into it with this machine I am very happy with it but again I ride one very calm lake and Lake Ontario no oceans here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Txreds View Post
    I am looking at a FX HO and a VXR for a first ski. I will be using it mostly in Clear Lake, TX. You get moderate chop and some pretty large boat wakes from the offshore boats. I have read the FX HO has a better ride but I was wondering how rough the VXR is. The lower cost and extra speed does appeal to me. I have one child who will be with me most of the time. Any advice from current owners of a VXR or FX HO would be much appreciated.
    I bought an '08 FX last year and loved it so much that I gave it to the kid and scored the '12 FX HO for myself... I love the stability of both of these since the lake I ride on gets VERY rough on the weekends but catching air on these is a blast! Both are extremely comfortable and in fact initially I liked the feel of the '08 better until I got used to the new one and now I wouldn't ride anything else.

I have never ridden a vx though.

Thread Information