Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Isle Dernieres

+1

Isle Dernieres

What a weekend: No PWCs, but then again the target was the 'Dernieres which is a WMA/Bird Sanctuary - No jetskis allowed! So by boat it was. On Saturday, the catch was light but the weather wasn't. But that's a story for another day. Sunday wasn't fishing - it was catching! Everybody limited...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180247.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	280297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180335.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	280301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180228.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	280299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180233.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	280298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180286.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	280300  

+1
    Damn I fish that all the time on my jetski and didn't know it. Is timbalier a WMA?
    Nice catch! We're you using artificial?

+1
    Tim, I'm not sure about the Big T, but that info can be found at LDWF's website. Chances are you'd never be seen by an agent there, but... And, after what happened on Saturday, IDK if I'd take that chance.

+1
    It's ok... You can be secretive and not tell me if you were using artificial or not.

Glad to see the pelicans thriving even thought we all know you were really taking a picture of that beautiful rig in the background. Wondering what it would be like to jetski fish out by it.

+1
    Dang, I forgot about the bait - all artificial. A quarter ounce jig w/some plastic will do nicely. I saw a kid on a boat throwing double-rigged and I figured "why not" - caught 3 double keepers in a row. Then I went to a Chug Bug, which is actually a top water bass lure. I put 12 fish in the boat in 12 casts. It was pure mayhem.

I did see the rigs, but had no desire to go further after what happened on Sat.

+1
    Wow. Well that is the area that I wanted to take everyone. Directly behind that island is the sulfur mine. That has good fishing at times. Where did y'all launch out of? Coco marina?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    Wow. Well that is the area that I wanted to take everyone. Directly behind that island is the sulfur mine. That has good fishing at times. Where did y'all launch out of? Coco marina?
    We ran out of By. Dularge - my friend's cousin owns a place near the end of the road.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Tim, I'm not sure about the Big T, but that info can be found at LDWF's website. Chances are you'd never be seen by an agent there, but... And, after what happened on Saturday, IDK if I'd take that chance.
    So what happened Saturday?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    So what happened Saturday?
    After this weekend... IDK. It's not small potatoes. Yeah, I'd like to make it, but... I went fishing off the coast of LA this weekend and we overstayed our welcome. Naturally, I'm alive to make this post, but -to date- it was the absolute worse travel in the water I've ever been in. Had I taken the skis like I originally planned, they prob. would both be gone to the bottom of the GoM. It was 7 miles of close 4 to 6 footers and a foot of water came over the bow of our 24' bay boat every other wave.

I'm quoting myself above regarding another post about making the trip to Bimini (ocean crossing). Saturday's event was the most frightened I've ever been while traveling on water. I asked my friend whom's boat we were in and was driving how that compared to his history of fishing on the barrier islands: Top 2 Worst Trips weather-wise. What really got me worked up was we lost the oil pump in the worst part - 3 miles from shore and 3 miles from the barrier island. We managed to get the boat turned down wind w/o rolling over. And sitting still w/no power we were moving at 1.7 mph - which meant had we not got main power fixed, we could have been swept out into open waters in less than 2 hrs. There was another boat traveling w/us (9 guys, 2 boats) but we lost them in the white-out. We wouldn't see them for some time later. We managed to get oil in the reservoir (by-passed the pump) and was finally able to get the 300HP going again. At one point, standing near the cockpit, I notice two of my boat-mates were sitting in the rear seats w/waist deep in sea water.

+1

Isle Dernieres

Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    After this weekend... IDK. It's not small potatoes. Yeah, I'd like to make it, but... I went fishing off the coast of LA this weekend and we overstayed our welcome. Naturally, I'm alive to make this post, but -to date- it was the absolute worse travel in the water I've ever been in. Had I taken the skis like I originally planned, they prob. would both be gone to the bottom of the GoM. It was 7 miles of close 4 to 6 footers and a foot of water came over the bow of our 24' bay boat every other wave.

I'm quoting myself above regarding another post about making the trip to Bimini (ocean crossing). Saturday's event was the most frightened I've ever been while traveling on water. I asked my friend whom's boat we were in and was driving how that compared to his history of fishing on the barrier islands: Top 2 Worst Trips weather-wise. What really got me worked up was we lost the oil pump in the worst part - 3 miles from shore and 3 miles from the barrier island. We managed to get the boat turned down wind w/o rolling over. And sitting still w/no power we were moving at 1.7 mph - which meant had we not got main power fixed, we could have been swept out into open waters in less than 2 hrs. There was another boat traveling w/us (9 guys, 2 boats) but we lost them in the white-out. We wouldn't see them for some time later. We managed to get oil in the reservoir (by-passed the pump) and was finally able to get the 300HP going again. At one point, standing near the cockpit, I notice two of my boat-mates were sitting in the rear seats w/waist deep in sea water.
    You would have been safer on a ski! 👍

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information