+1

Heading offshore in the morning

Going to take a run out to some rigs on the FX140 in the morning, weather permitting. I'll be running out of Matagorda, TX and hope to make a few rigs in the area in search of some kings, lings, and whatever else wants to eat whatever I wind up with. I have my Lowrance Mark 4 installed (temprorary while I keep trying to figure out where to put it) and my cooler mounted with some rod holders so I'm the best prepared I've been so far. Hoping for reasonably flat seas, but not really expecting them. Today was about 5 foot. Took mama's GTX out for a joyride 2 up for a bit, but stayed in the Bay due to the wind and waves. If it's too rough out, I may try to fish the surf for some trout and reds, but that'll probably be murder too if it's bad.

On another note, had a fellow lose his leg this week to the flesh eating virus next door at Port O'Conner. That stuff is mean and hanging around pretty close. I don't like it. Still lots of sargassum around here too. Yech!

+1
    Well, out and back. It was a wet rough ride out, much slicker coming back. The first rig I went to I spent considerable time and bait. I was bit off several times by large fish and pulled back baits with what appeared to be small shark bites out of them. Triggerfish nabbed up much of my bait. Finally moved to another rig and had my first cast visciously attacked, but I couldn't keep the fish away from the rig and I was immediately broken off. Threw another croaker close to the rig and saw dozens of spadefish, triggerfish go after it. I hooked a decent spade, and it was followed to the ski by a half dozen nice Ling (Cobia). OH YEAH! There were dozens of Ling surrounding the ski in no time.

I threw the house at them though and had no takers. Hooked something substantial again and tried to maneuver it away from the rig, but again was snapped off. Then the sideplate on my three week old Mettle reel AND my spool bailed on me over the side of the ski. GRRRRRrrrrrr!

Anyway, I stayed there and threw another rod with artificials as I was out of live bait, and caught triggerfish after triggerfish with occassional catches of lesser amberjack. I had a blast, these rigs were about 8-10 miles out. The ski was great and my new Lowrance Mark 4 was perfect until late in the day when it began reading very shallow depths while in 50 foot of water. The GPS functions are still fine, but I'm a bt disappointed. All in all, a fun day. By the time I came in the seas had diminished substantially and I was traveling with the waves which helped tremendously as well. I could not stay on plane all the way out, but did all the way in.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Mount it in the glove box lid......and if you are getting false readings it may have come loose....did you stick the puck inside the hull?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    This is a unit I had before the Lowrance but this is how I mounted it and I used about a half a tube of silicone to stick the puck to the bottom of the hull.....there can be NO air bubbles at all......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-15 VXS Depth Finder GPS 018.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	280483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-15 VXS Depth Finder GPS 006.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	280484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-05-14 VXS Depth Finder GPS 005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	280485  

+1
    After a lot of waffling back and forth I drilled the hull and installed the transducer externally at the rear. It appears perfect, is not knocked crooked or anything, and is all connected properly but reads wrong even when stationary in the water. I have not yet checked, but I'm thinking water may have gotten into the connector and caused a short. I will investigate that today when I get some time. I am thinking I will put dielectric grease in there to protect it. The FF I had on my kayak had the little pins corrode and fail due to saltwater invasion + electricity, so I suspect I could have a similar issue going on here already. It was a horribly wet ride to the rigs in 4-5 foot seas for 10-12 miles. Coming back was easy, but going out against the waves was a bugger.

And on the FX140 my glovebox lid is not large enough to do that mount. I would love to do that, but cannot there wouldn't be any lid left and not sure it could close. Even though the unit is the smallest one around, I think it's a little large to try that with on this ski. THat WAS my original thought after seeing your setup in another thread. Thanks for the help though. I appreciate your input.

Thread Information