Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

If I am going to hone for new rings what type of hone do I need ?

I want to install new rings on OEM pistons on my 00 1200XL limited I have read it is best to hone the cylinders first, do you guys have a recomendation on the type of hone I need ?and where to buy it at a good price ? engine is stock nikisel cyl.

Also anyone have a good cheap (hahaha) source for oem rings/parts ??

Thanks

Boats.net, Yamaha Sports Plaza etc for stock parts, not sure on where to buy a hone online. I would call your local Matco Guy or similar if you want a good one.

Banned User
    +1
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTO-CAR-TRU...item3a74642028

Here's what I have used and seen used numerous times. This will put a light hone on the jugs. Go rik rings

+1
    They look like that but bigger. A brake cylinder hone is no where near large enough. A simple hone from your local parts store with 240 or 320 grit stones will be just fine. Squirt a helping of lube in there first.

+1
    If its nikasil it has to be done with a diamond hone,you can't use a ball hone either,from what I have learned talkin to my local machinest is that a ball hone can actually chip the plating around the ports and a regular cheap hone won't cut right or barely even cut it at all,just call around to local machine shops to see if they have experience with this and they shouldnt charge much at all,prob $25 for both and they will get the proper cross hatch angles

+1
    I also heard people say to use a scotch brite pad and wd40 or soapy water,mainly all you really need to do is deglaze the cylinder and since the plating is all thin you can actually do damage by honing it especially if you aren't experienced.for what it costs to replate and the two week turn around especially in the peak of the riding season I would just scotch brite them and reassemble.also wouldn't hurt to have a machinest measure the pistons and cylinders to make sure the piston to wall clearance is withn spec,its very cheap

Banned User
    +1
    Scotch Brite is not gonna do anything. The link I sent you is what you want just bigger

+1
    Scotchbrite and wd40 does work,all you are basically attempting to do is deglaze the cylinders and remove any aluminum residue ,just be careful if u do hone it cause the plating is very thin and can easily burn through it and be very careful around the ports

+1
    I tried honing my non-nic'd cylinders on '97 GP1200 with one of the 3 stone hones and the results sucked. So I took it in to a shop and had them do it.

+1
    It truely needs to be done with a diamond hone.that coating is some seriously hard stuff and costly if you screw up,the reason I say to scotchbrite it is if you can still see the factory cross hatch marks then u are fine and it just needs to be cleaned,but if you have light scoring then it needs a hone and it needs to be done in a certian pattern and a diamond hone is the only thing that will cut into the plating

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information