Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sludge???

Sludge???

alright i just got my 96 sl 780 running and im in the process of getting it tuned up,the service manual says premix the first tank of gas to ensure proper lubrication after working on the engine or oil pump,and i did that.its a little sluggish but i know that's from being too rich.the problem i have is there is like a oily/watery sludge coming out of the exhaust,iv got the water hose hooked up to it to work on it so that's where the water comes in at but the oily sludge???maybe its the premix and the oil pump???i don't know,just want to find out.
    Thanks

+1
    Its normal - water, oil, exhaust residue coming out exhaust pipe and through the water box. May be increased due to excessive oil during break in.....

yeah that's kinda what i was thinking.thanks for the info

+1
    When I removed my waterbox I dumped out what looked like the BLOB from that old scifi movie! Haha

haha yeah thats about right

I started my sl780 last night after a carb rebuild and submersion recovery.
    Ran about 10 mins on garden hose. I do have premix in tank and oil injection as well.
    Ran OK, but not great. Lots of smoke. Expected that. Waiting to tune in water.

Noticed this am that black sludge was on ground. Lots sitting on top of ride plate. Hose, water box, etc.

I would guess about a quart of black sludge!!!

Doesn't that seem excessive?
    Thanks,

Gary

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by garyg25 View Post
    I started my sl780 last night after a carb rebuild and submersion recovery.
    Ran about 10 mins on garden hose...
    Was this with the driveshaft and jet pump in place?

That is a LONG run time on the hose, especially with no water cooling for the rubber seals in the through-hull bearing and inside the jet pump stator. Those seals are at risk of melting from friction heat during long runs out of the water.

Unfortunately, drive was connected. But it was probably closer to five minutes. Never thought about drive issues. focused on getting this thing back in the water tomorrow. Should I tear down drive?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by garyg25 View Post
    Unfortunately, drive was connected. But it was probably closer to five minutes. Never thought about drive issues. focused on getting this thing back in the water tomorrow. Should I tear down drive?
    Water testing. Stage one is to leave it full strapped DOWN to the trailer front and rear and back it into the water until the jet pump intake is fully submerged.

Then you can run it with the seat off and observe. It will have full normal water cooling so you can run it as long as you want. Check for leaks, correct engine temp, etc. You can apply throttle and steering and generally test everything.

Make sure there is no debris or loose gravel around or under the jet pump intake suction.

Only launch it when you are very sure it is in good shape. And have a backup plan in case it fails while you are out on the water.

Next stage is to ride with the seat off and continue to monitor the machine.

For a water test don't worry about the drive line seals. If they are leaking then you will need to deal with them, but it should hold together for a short test. If the seals have never been serviced in the through-hull and jet pump then you should plan to do so anyways.

New seals and bearings is inexpensive insurance against a jet pump seizure

Thanks K447!!. Yeah , strapped to trailer was how I got it running earlier this season for the first time since I bought it. Did not run well, (bogging) but submerged before I had a chance to tune it. Long story on the submerging. Also, is it right that the bilge pump only runs when the engine is running?

Removed carbs, reed assy, to get water out of crankcase. Rebuilt carbs, reeds looked like new, new thermostat, pop-off valve. Compression about 120 in all 3. Put it back together, ran it on hose and found the sludge. I'm thinking some of the sludge may have been in the water box for years and the garden hose pressure forced it out last night. Make sense??
    I'll get my son to ride with the seat off. Not a very stable position for a 200+ lb 58 year old guy.
    Is the bogging generally high speed needles? Nearly everything has been gone through on the engine, Want to get it running right this time.

I'll watch for leaks from drive seals. I was planning on a complete engine removal/rebuild and drive service this winter. Hope it makes it till then.

Are the drive seals and bearings a big job? Haven't even looked at that yet. If not too bad I will do it soon, rather than wait till winter.

Any concerns about the sludge?

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information