View Poll Results: What other gauge would you want on the cluster?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Empty 2-1/16th hole to fit any gauge (not controlled by ecu)

1 33.33%
  • Oil Temp (reading taken from the oil cooler or one of the freeze plugs)

1 33.33%
  • Water Temp (cooling taken from just after the header)

1 33.33%
  • Depth Finder

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1

(PROJECT) Replacement Gauge cluster opinions needed.

Due to the recent rise in the number of people with shorted or dieing STX gauge clusters I have kick-started my project to create a plug and play analog replacement gauge. I have plans to implement a tiny tach in the middle flanked by 1 auto meter marine gauge on each side. There will also be 5 leds under the tach to show Battery warning, Temp Warning, Oil Pressure Warning, Slo Mode (if you have an A2 model) and Power. Slo mode will be controlled by a button. This thread is very early on in the project as I have been doing a more custom version in my project ski but to bring this to the people I plan on making it plug in using the factory connectors.

Now the question I have is this, obviously for a rec rider Fuel level is important and I think having an accurate tach is also important so those 2 gauges are going in the kit, what third gauge would everyone like? I will be using a 2-1/16th gauge so you have lots of options but I will be basing the rest of this project upon the poll in this thread and building one version. I will also make blank gauge plates if there is an interest. The idea of the project is not to sell a complete package but to make the control module and gauge plate with the factory plugs that you can hook up any 2-1/16th gauge to but for this to happen I need to know which 2 gauges to make the box for.

Currently there WILL be a tiny tach in the middle and a Fuel level gauge on one side, what other gauge do y'all want?

Sean

+1
    Here are the pictures I have of my current setup. I'm sorry they are rotated. Tapatalk keeps turning them and I can't figure out why.

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344880860622.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	280343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344880951022.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	280344  

To me - protecting the engine is the most important aspect of the gauge. Must have for me- tach, oil pressure, water temp and a BUZZER for any warning.

Less important IHMO- fuel (many senders don't even work and it's a non standard resistance range), speed (nice to have to verify against RPM).

Just as thought- Faria makes a 4 in 1 marine gauge... i think it's bigger (3.25-4" dia) but that may be cheaper and easier to place than individuals?

BTW- thanks for taking this on!

I agree with Jav above about engine protection, along with fuel and speed. I also happen to like (not need) the OEM clock and odometer. What would be cool to me, as a purely recreational skier, would be something like most cars have that could show Distance/Time to empty dynamically, based on your current driving patterns. Maybe way too much for this kind of project, just wishful thinking on my part. Of course, waterproof, not water resistant, is critical.

BTW, your work so far looks great. Nice and clean.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Currently there WILL be a tiny tach in the middle and a Fuel level gauge on one side, what other gauge do y'all want?

Sean
    Feel-good meter.

+1
    With regards to a bigger gauge you would probably only fit one but I'll look into that. The fuel level would be a circuit box with a program for the stock fuel sending unit or a universal level sender like I have that uses no floats. The problem with the 2 wire sender that I have is that the tank has to be drilled for the new unit. It is much more accurate but not ideal, as well as costing around a hundred dollars.

With regards to oil pressure, kawi doesn't use a sender that measures pressure its just an oh shit switch, I could do the led warnings pretty easily but to add a proper gauge requires an additional sending unit and a remote mount again around a hundred dollars. Oil temp is easy and just requires a bung either in one of the blocked off galleys in the engine or teed into the pressure switch on the oil cooler. Water temp is also easy and cheap. The warnings can be done easily through the ecu though. The buzzer would also work.

I could do distance to empty on my new ecu but not on stock.

With regards to speed the issue is that if I were to do that (which I could) it would be a GPS module and again be expensive and I think most speedos are 5 inch and go up to over 100.

This is an idea to suit the community so I'm absolutely looking for halls input. My goal is to keep it as cheap as possible while still offering a good item that functions on par or above the factory while being durable.

Keep it coming guys, Rod we already have 2 of those

I need to make a sticker that says fun-o-meter

Sean

+1
    The gauge is 7-3/4 by 3-3/4th rough measure just for a size idea.

I can move stuff slightly but there isn't much space at all.

I would put the warnings and indicator for slo mode in the space under the tach.

Sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344887134983.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	280347  

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    I have used 2 tiny tachs and was not pleased with the performance of either. Have they improved the way those things work any? Already decided for my next tach I will bite the bullet and spend the money for a good one.

+1
    I have not had any issues with mine but I'll keep y'all updated. If I can find another tach that's small I'll use it. I would rather have a round tach.

Sean

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information