Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Yet another MSX 150 problem; no response to throttle

My 150 will start and run but wont take any throttle. I pull the throttle lever and nothing. Any ideas??
    Last edited by K447; 08-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.

+1
    Do you hear the ECU sweep the electronic throttle?

Might try an electronic throttle relearn

ETB Learning Procedure (Straight from the shop manual)

The ECU must perform the ECU / ETB learning procedure when ever the ECU or ETB is replaced with a new part. During the procedure, the ECU sweeps the throttle plate from full open to full close and “learns” the unique characteristics of the ETB.

1. Engine must be OFF, and lanyard removed from stop switch.
    2. The PPU must be at absolute 0. (Increase the throttle flipper cable freeplay to ensure PPU is set to absolute zero and that cable is not kinked.)
    3. Verify the battery voltage is at or above 10.1 Vdc, and that the engine temp. is between 42 and 176_F. The outside ambient temp. must be at least 42_F.
    4. Install the new ETB or ECU.
    5. Insert the lanyard into the stop switch. Wake-up ECU and wait for AT LEAST 30 seconds.
    6. Remove lanyard and wait for AT LEAST 2 minutes. You should hear the throttle body perform self-ajustments.
    7. Insert lanyard and re--start engine. Re--set the throttle flipper cable freeplay to what it was prior to performing process.
    Cheers!

+1
    Check the throttle body butterfly is not frozen, you can push against the motor with your fingers.

not siezed and it doesnt seem to be resetting the etb

+1
    Hmm. Desperado gave me instructions on how to reprogram the ETB for my ECU that he reflashed. Doing this, I could hear the ETB opening and closing... so I know it worked.

From his website:
    POLARIS MSX

Installation instructions -- Polaris MSX110 & MSX150 ECU

This document presents important and mandatory installation steps that need to be performed when installing your ECU after a reflash. Make sure you execute every steps below to avoid complications and ECU downtime.

1. Disconnect the battery positive terminal (+).
    2. Install your ECU and connect all 3 connectors to it.
    3. When all is assembled, as if ready to go, reconnect the battery positive terminal (+)
    4. Install the lanyard on the kill switch as if ready to ride. Do not start the engine at this stage.
    5. Briefly press the START button (green) to engage the starter (less than 1 second) – Do not allow the engine to start. This step is all about waking up the ECU for the first time.
    6. Within 5 seconds after pressing the START button, slowly press the throttle lever until it reaches full power position (WOT). Hold for 2 seconds, then slowly release to idle position. Let stand at idle position for 2 seconds, then redo and press the throttle lever one more time to WOT position, hold for 2 seconds, then slowly release to idle position. You’re done -- let stand.
    7. IMPORTANT : Once step #6 is done, disconnect lanyard and wait until MFD gauge shuts down by itself. Do not attempt to start the engine while the MFD is still active. attempting to start the engine.
    8. Do not attempt to start the engine 3 minutes after the MFD gauge has shut down. The ECU is initializing all its operating parameters and recording the proper ETB values. This can take up to 3 minutes.
    9. ECU should be ready after step #8 and you can start the engine normally from that point.
    Give this a try. At least you should hear the ETB sweeping.

Quote Originally Posted by wicksbusa View Post
    My 150 will start and run but wont take any throttle. I pull the throttle lever and nothing. Any ideas??
    Any relevant background info?
    When did the issue start?

I have the same problem, got codes from local dealer P0220 & P0225. The EBT does sweep but it looks like it resets. I moved the ski with my tow jack and when I lifted the ski it started to sweep and make noise. I removed it to check it and it is not seized but it rattles when I move it.

My Msx 110 wont rev past 1800

Is the rattle normal?

could this be the reason for these codes P0220 & P0225 and limp mode?

Thanks,

I don't care what they say I love my MSX

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Msx110granpa View Post
    I have the same problem, got codes from local dealer P0220 & P0225. The EBT does sweep but it looks like it resets.

I moved the ski with my tow jack and when I lifted the ski it started to sweep and make noise. I removed it to check it and it is not siezed but it rattles when I move it.

...I don't care what they say I love my MSX
    What is a tow jack?

Are you saying that simply shifting the hull around caused the electrical system to respond? That suggests a connection problem in the wiring. Something shorting, loose connection or broken internal wire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Msx110granpa View Post
    I have the same problem, got codes from local dealer P0220 & P0225. The EBT does sweep but it looks like it resets. I moved the ski with my tow jack and when I lifted the ski it started to sweep and make noise. I removed it to check it and it is not siezed but it rattles when I move it.

My Msx 110 wont rev past 1800

Is the rattle normal?

could this be the reason for these codes P0220 & P0225 and limp mode?

Thanks,

I don't care what they say I love my MSX
    There is nothing in there that should rattle, you can remove the retaining clips easily with a screwdriver to check out the gears inside, do this operation at the kitchen table sitting down and be careful with the fine contact wipers, if you bend these it is not good. You will understand once the cover is off. Check carefully the 'green' has not made it into any contacts or circuit board copper.

With you on the 'love the MSX'

Yes sir I was moving it with a trailer mule, when I lifted the front end I could listen and hear the throttle body sweep noise.

Now do you know if the throttle body when removed rattles when you move it or shake the part?

I have checked and cleaned every plug on ski and nothing.

All started with winterizing oil overfilled at shop caused oil to go in intake.

I had two other codes P0113 & P0237 replaced MAP sensors from GM store, removed and cleaned intercooler.

Thank you for the help and suggestion but that throttle body rattle really has me thinking if it could be bad or not I just don't know if it is normal.

Regards,

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information