02 virage over charging

I had overcharging issues last year that resulted in a blown battery. Volts were ranging from 13 to 14. Had the LR-505 replaced and volts back in the 12s for a few hours this year. Recently put an agm battery in and after a recent charge and 2 hour ride, the volts jumped back up into the mid 13s. Im lost as to what to do next.....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A properly operating charging system will maintain about 14.5 volts when the engine is running and the battery is well charged.

A '12 volt' battery is almost never at exactly 12 volts. When just sitting fully charged and rested a regular lead-acid battery will measure about 12.5 volts. A fully charged AGM battery rests at about 12.8 volts.

In order to actually charge the battery the electrical system is designed to push about 14.5 volts into the battery while the engine is running. If the battery is partially discharged then the voltage will be somewhere between 13.5 and 14.5 volts, give or take.

if your charging system is delivering less than 13.5 volts with the engine running then there is something wrong.

Note that all voltage measurements are based on using an accurate volt meter, not the built in digital display.

Thanks for the quick response k447. I get nervous when I see the volts pass 12.7 in fear of the battery exploding again. I did have a Walmart wet cell battery blow before I replaced the LR-505. So I should be safe at WOT reading 13+ volts on the new agm?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the charging system is working properly you should measure between 13.5 and 14.5 volts at the battery regardless of engine RPM. There may a small voltage rise with RPM but the whole reason for the regulator being there is to deliver a fairly stable voltage to the battery all the time.

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine?

An exploding battery is a fault within the battery. Even heavy overcharging should not cause a battery to fail in a violent manner. There is a reason for the battery having a venting system, to prevent excessive pressure accumulation within the battery.

It sounds like your Walmart battery did not vent when it needed to.

Carbed domestic

That's why I bought an agm. Ski is ridden about twice a month, but now that I Read your response, it makes total sense. After a hard day of riding(after sitting for a few weeks) then the next day he volts jump up the mid 13s. Ski running like a champ regardless, I was just in-informed. K447, you're the man, thanks

A standard 6 cell PB battery should sit, unloaded, around 12.6V at 100% SOC. Generally, you want to see 13.xV+ when running, the low 14.xV range is often preferred, especially on a PWC where you might be more prone to frequent starts and stops over something like a car.

http://www.scubaengineer.com/documen...ing_graphs.pdf

This is a good guide. You don't typically know the c-rate of charge, but you can anticipate it to be between C/5 and C/20. As the state of charge rises, the charge rate will decrease, but around 13.5V is required to maintain the battery at 100% SOC. If you see 12.xV, something is wrong. However, the volt meters built into MFD's are typically less than accurate.

Thread Information