Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking Proper break in procedure

What is the proper way of breaking in a new ski?! Some people say WOT some say to take it easy for the first 10 hours. So what is it? I'll be breaking in my 2011 FZS and would like to do it properly! Thank you in advance for the comments and suggestions!!!!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Do a search and read read read.................then make a choice.....

+1
    i gave mine love,, and it broke down at 0.8hrs lol, but it was just a pipe that some yank forgot to tighten up at the factory,, so glad i found it early,

show it a good time and go thru the hole rev range, what ever you do dont baby it,

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    What is the proper way of breaking in a new ski?! Some people say WOT some say to take it easy for the first 10 hours. So what is it? I'll be breaking in my 2011 FZS and would like to do it properly! Thank you in advance for the comments and suggestions!!!!
    If you look in your owners manual it recommends operating the ski at 2000 rpm for the first 5 mins, then for the next 30mins anything under/upto 5000rpm alternating your rpm, and then finally for the next hour operating it under/upto 6000rpm alternating your rpm.
    however it was recommended to me that the 30mins to 5000rpm be done for 2hrs instead of 30mins.
    This all just helps bed in the sleeves, valves etc.
    It was certainly hard to keep it under those rpm but then after break in I rode it like I stole it. Haven't had a problem so far in the last 10 hrs.
    Btw this was breaking in a 2012 fx sho

Regards, Luke

+1
    It seems like following the break-in procedure in the manual is the best way to do it. It's relatively simple and doesn't take too long. I would think Yamaha engineers know their engines best so I feel very comfortable following their break-in instructions.

My dealer told me to let it warm up and just drive it, then work up to speed as I felt comfortable. He said I could follow the break in procedure if I want but the newer motors these days dont require it. If anything he said the break in was more for the rider to get used to the ski than it is for the engine...

+1

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Matt in Houston View Post
    My dealer told me to let it warm up and just drive it, then work up to speed as I felt comfortable. He said I could follow the break in procedure if I want but the newer motors these days dont require it. If anything he said the break in was more for the rider to get used to the ski than it is for the engine...
    my dealer told me the only difference between the fzr and an fzs was thew fzr had a supercharger....

lol thats pretty bad...!

But I sort of understand what my guy was saying. I break in my cars the same way and I have never had a problem. Let them warm up and break them in hard and they will run hard. Never had an issue.

+1
    I love these dealers lax attitudes, everything is "it'll be fine, stop worrying just ride it..." lol

But really you need to break it in properly, the engine parts need to wear to their proper clearence's. That's why you have to change the oil at 10 hours to get all those metal flakes out of the engine.

Whats the max RPM in low RPM mode? It seems like you could just let it warm up and then drive it for a couple hours on low RPM mode and it would basicly fit what the manual is saying to do. After that, take it out and let her rip a few times.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information