Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Needs carb rebuild after 5 hours??? Did dealer rip me off?

In the past I've bought seadoos from people on Craigslist and have had nothing but problems with them. ...so I decided I'd spend a bit more money and buy a used Seadoo from (what I thought is) a reputable dealer.
    So, I paid $2,400 for a 96 GTX with a brand new engine in it. Dealer told me engine has a 1 year warranty, all gauges work, ski is in perfect working order.

Well, after about 3 hours it started to bog down on me. Looked at the front fuel filter, and it was clogged up with varnish. So, I cleaned it and it ran for a couple more hours, and then started to bog down again. Called the dealer and he said "bring it on down, we'll get ya fixed up". So, after keeping my ski for about 3 weeks to a month, he calls and tells me that it's ready. The carb was clogged up and had to be rebuilt. He wants about $250 (says he's giving me a "deal" on the repair, since I bought it from him). The thing has about 5-6 hours on it since I got it from him. They tried to blame it on "bad gas". I only use brand name gas, the gas was purchased from the same station (shell) I use for all my vehicles and "the ski had been sitting in my shop for a few months, probably some crud in the tank". blah blah blah

Am I wrong to expect that a ski I buy from a dealer should run for more than 5 hours? Am I wrong to expect that when a dealer replaces an engine that they would also make sure the fuel system is clean?

The gas these days has a lot of ethanol in it, it can and will go bad in as little as 1 month, regardless of where you get it and what name is on the pump. Ethanol also has a bad habit of suspending any crusties/varnish in your tank and its hard on rubber fuel system parts, including fuel lines and seals in the carb.

The only way to get around this is to fine NON_OXYGENATED premium fuel, it will say non-oxygenated on the pump and may not even be available in your area, some states no longer have it. If you cant find it, you can try to find an airport to sell you av-gas but without a plane a lot of them wont sell it to ya. You can run regular fuel but dont expect it to last long, its got a shelf life of about a month, less if its humid out and your tank has a breather.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    The gas these days has a lot of ethanol in it, it can and will go bad in as little as 1 month, regardless of where you get it and what name is on the pump. Ethanol also has a bad habit of suspending any crusties/varnish in your tank and its hard on rubber fuel system parts, including fuel lines and seals in the carb.

The only way to get around this is to fine NON_OXYGENATED premium fuel, it will say non-oxygenated on the pump and may not even be available in your area, some states no longer have it. If you cant find it, you can try to find an airport to sell you av-gas but without a plane a lot of them wont sell it to ya. You can run regular fuel but dont expect it to last long, its got a shelf life of about a month, less if its humid out and your tank has a breather.

So, since the ski had been sitting in his shop for months, should he have not KNOWN the gas would probably be bad? Not like I bought it, put gas in it, and let it sit for months.

+1
    What color are the fuel lines??????

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    What color are the fuel lines??????
    Funny you should ask. They are gray. Before I bought I asked "are these the original fuel lines?" he said No. But I'm statying to think he lied.

+1
    Gray is original and they are more than likely your problem.
    I had a 96 GTI back in the day and mine went bad. They had yellowish, jelly looking crap in them that nothing would cut.
    Replace the fuel lines and sorry, you will probably need to rebuild the carbs again.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehell View Post
    So, since the ski had been sitting in his shop for months, should he have not KNOWN the gas would probably be bad? Not like I bought it, put gas in it, and let it sit for months.
    That depends on whether the dealer put the fuel in the tank, Most of these shops dont check whats in the tank when things get dropped off, Chances are good that the previous owner left bad gas in there which ate the fuel lines and is causing your problems. The machine probably sat for a while before it was brought in for a new engine and the tank and lines were never flushed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    That depends on whether the dealer put the fuel in the tank, Most of these shops dont check whats in the tank when things get dropped off, Chances are good that the previous owner left bad gas in there which ate the fuel lines and is causing your problems. The machine probably sat for a while before it was brought in for a new engine and the tank and lines were never flushed.
    Fuel is a small part of his problems. The gray fuel lines are know to cause the problems he is having.

+1

Re: Needs carb rebuild after 5 hours??? Did dealer rip me off?

id recommend rebuilding the carbs yourself. its pretty easy. and saves you $150-200

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information