Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ultra 150/1200 triple known issues

So I am looking to get back into the PWC game and am looking at the Ultra 150 models as a possibility. I have noticed more than a few units out there that state rebuilds on the motors and pumps with hours on them between 40-70 hours. This seems really early in the life of these units to need any major overhauls. My understanding was if the units are properly maintained they should be able to go 200+ hours before needing an overhaul (assuming again proper maintenance and fresh water only use). I would much appreciate an advice in the matter and model specific issues

+1
    The original pumps typically needed overhaul by 100 hours. There is a better repair kit that has extra seals that extends the life of the pump.

The Ultra engine is rather finicky, it won't tolerate running lean, etc. A lot of people neglect their 'Skis and this causes a lot of problems. You can't let it sit with untreated fuel for a long time because it will clog the carbs, which results in running lean, which results in a blown engine. Cheap aftermarket parts will NOT work in one of these engines, either. It's a great 'Ski with a good engine, but it requires proper care and it costs money.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    what steve said +10

They have a pretty high operating cost, so buy a fresh(er) one and pay a premium for it.

Hmmmm, what goes wrong with the pump that they only last 100 hours? Found a very clean unit that has 106 hours on it and currently runs fine. I like the speed of the ultra, but not looking for a headache. Compared to the 1100 zxi models are they really any worse?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the yltra pumps use sealed bearings and the seals are know to start leaking around 100 hours or so. It is strongly suggested you pull the pump for an inspection, and at the least replace the seals. It's not an easy pump to get the bearings out of once they have failed and replacement pumps are not available as aftermarket

What would avg cost be to replace the pump bearings?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    When I replaced them in my 2000 Ultra before I sold it I paid like $70 bucks for the kit. Just make sure to get the kit with the triple seals.

I now have a 1999 unit with 55 hours on it and a 2001 with 76 hours on it in my sights. I know the earlier 1999 models had the different CDI box in it and used the expensive plugs, not sure what the hull number is on this one. Other than that, is there any advantage to the 2001 model vs the '99 model? My intentions would be to have the oil lines replaced on either right away and probably have the carbs cleaned and properly adjusted. Are the pump bearings/seals more of a age issue or running hours related? Since both units are under that 100 hour mark and will probably only see 20 or so hours a year, do I still need to rebuild the pump right away?

Re: ultra 150/1200 triple known issues

Rebuild that pump regardless. You are looking at over 10 year old skis with pumps known for going bad. Have the pump rebuilt is added security. Atleast what I have done with all my ultras. 04-05 I believe have the updated seal kit.

I've seen a couple of ultra motors fail due to cracked oil injection lines that are cheap and easy to change just mix the fuel and bleed the pump. If you do find one that's a good thing to take care of before it causes a problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information