2001 Virage xt 1200 help. Ski dies randomly, starts right back up.....

I have a ski that i am having a hard time diagnosing because its random, here is what is going on.

The ski starts and runs fine for a few mins in the water, then just dies, digital display also goes out. When the display comes back on the engine light is blinking. The ski will start right back up, but will do the same thing again. It doesn't bog or anything that would make me think fuel related, i think its electrical, but would appreciate some help as to where to look for the problem. The fuse was blown for the digital panel previously, but i replaced it 2 weeks ago and it hasn't blown since.

Thanks for any help!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Remove, clean and check the battery ground cable at the engine case. Make very sure you have clean metal to metal connection.

After that, check every other electrical connection. Both ends of both battery cables, check circuit breakers for corrosion or loose connection, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Remove, clean and check the battery ground cable at the engine case. Make very sure you have clean metal to metal connection.

After that, check every other electrical connection. Both ends of both battery cables, check circuit breakers for corrosion or loose connection, etc.
    I got a chance to check all the connections and they all are good. I just checked the battery voltage at the battery and it reads 11.56, not running. I know that is low, but that wouldn't cause random shut downs would it? What else should i check?

Thanks for the help!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha Performance View Post
    ... I just checked the battery voltage at the battery and it reads 11.56, not running. I know that is low, but that wouldn't cause random shut downs would it?

What else should i check?...
    That is not low, it is VERY low. That is essentially a fully discharged battery.

Something is wrong with the charging system or the battery is internally failing (or both).

I am surprised it actually starts with the battery resting voltage being so low, let alone what the cranking voltage must dip to.

Thread Information