Is yamaha the best

Hello Yamaha guys,

I'm in the market to buy a ski, looking for a 1999-2001 XL 1200. Many Yamaha's out there, are some better than others? Are there ones to stay away from? Looking to spend around $2500-$3000 what would you buy? Thanks, wipeout

+1
    What state are you in?
    Where are you going to ride; ocean, lake, river?
    Long rides, short rides?
    Access to fuel?
    Ride single, double, or triple?
    Pull tubes, skiers, etc.?
    Jumping?
    Cruising?
    Max speed freak?
    Do you like to turn wrenches or prefer to keep hands clean?
    How long are you planning on keeping it?

SeaDoo!!!!!!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gotjuice? View Post
    SeaDoo!!!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout View Post
    Hello Yamaha guys,

I'm in the market to buy a ski, looking for a 1999-2001 XL 1200. Many Yamaha's out there, are some better than others? Are there ones to stay away from? Looking to spend around $2500-$3000 what would you buy? Thanks, wipeout
    Some are better then others. The XL1200 is nice ski. Only 2 problems I have with it are: Power valves (and there somewhat frequent failure rate) and the exhaust routing and carb location makes it more difficult to work on compared to other skis. Both issues are easy to overcome. Wave eater clips solve most power valve failures. and once you get used to taking the exhaust on and off and the carbs on and off...it'll become easy.
    As to the what I'd buy...it would be a 99 GP1200, 98 XL1200, or any year Yamaha SUV. All three of those came with the non-power valve 1200 which I find is easier and cheaper to work on and fix. I'd also buy a waveblaster, a superjet, or maybe a waveraider. Can you tell I'm an old school guy?
    With more money, I'd buy a 2005 - 2008 GPR1300 which is a non-power valve EFI ski or a 4 stroke ski.

These are just my opinions on what I like.

+1
    Cutlass is giving you good advice;
    personally if I had $3,000 to spend on a ski, I would save up a little more and get a 4 stroke. Think about resale value. Even if you put the $3,000 down and finance the balance for a year on a newer 4 stroke you will be getting a more modern ski which doesn't require oil in the fuel plus a warranty and I think you will have a better time with it especially when it comes time to resell it, but that's just me. In my experience Yamaha is the most durable brand on the water. Good luck in your quest!

Thanks guys for your input. Money is not the issue, I just don't need state of the art ski's. In Chicago you don't get alot of lake time like you would out west or down south. I have a 1999 XL 700 and never had any issues with it but would like to upgrade to a 1200 for the speed and power. wrenching is no problem but who want's to waste their summer doing that? I tend to keep things a while so resale is not that important to me. I think a 98,99 or 2000 XL 1200 would work. BTW my Polaris 1200 will do 60 + on smooth water.

+1
    Thats why I waste my winter wrenching on my waverunner...so I don't have to wrench all summer.
    If you're interested in a 3 seater with some power and you can wrench, then a PV XL1200 is right for you. Just do some research around here for all the reliability mods you can find, make a list, and knock them out during the fall, winter, and spring so you can enjoy your ski all summer long!!

Re: Is yamaha the best

Chicago Craigslist there is one f.s that suv

Thread Information