Clicks when start button is pushed

Both of my kawasaki machines are doing the same damn thing....when you push the button to start it, the just click. You can hear the fuel pump while you are pushing it, but nada from the starter. I tried using a bump starter to bypass the solenoid to check it but I'm either doing it wrong or thats not the problem. I'm in kind of a jam cause the one ski sunk and I need to crank the water out of it asap. Any thoughts?

Oh btw the machine are both stx 12f's. 2007 and 2005

What's the battery voltage?
    Are sprak plugs removed when trying to crank?

Batt voltage is 12.7 and yes the plugs are out.

+1
    Were the battery load tested. How many amps do they have. It can have all the voltage it wants and still not crank the ski. Try a battery that you know works on one of them and see what happens.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Were the battery load tested. How many amps do they have. It can have all the voltage it wants and still not crank the ski. Try a battery that you know works on one of them and see what happens.

true, but, testing the voltage drop will tell you condition of battery,,,,,,, Need to check battery voltage under-load (cranking or trying to crank engine) The voltage drop will give you condition of battery.

Voltage/ AMP test is the only real test for testing condition starter motor .

It turned out to be the starter was installed incorrectly and slightly at an angle to where when the intake manifold was reinstalled it was putting pressure on the post. Reinstalled the starter so that the post is positioned at a more downward angle and all seems to be well. Thanks all for your advice.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leedanger View Post
    It turned out to be the starter was installed incorrectly and slightly at an angle to where when the intake manifold was reinstalled it was putting pressure on the post. Reinstalled the starter so that the post is positioned at a more downward angle and all seems to be well. Thanks all for your advice.
    Thanks for coming back to tell us what the problem turned out to be and what solved the problem. So many times, people seek advice, get it and then we never hear what happened after that...and in that regard, we don't learn anything.

+1
    still doesnt explain why both were doing it unless both were fuked up!!

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    still doesnt explain why both were doing it unless both were fuked up!!
    Ah...
    Ya they both had the same issue. Strange issue though because neither one had the starter worked on recently that I know of but these were both rental machines so who knows wtf the last guy did and why. Regardless I've had them both running for a week or more now without a glitch so it was either an extreme coincidence or that was it. Anyone else reading this for the same issue, I'd say it's worth your time even though you will have to pull that pain in the ass intake manifold off to do it.

Thread Information