Should I change my impeller?

Hello Everyone,

So I purchased the Stage 1 kit for my 2008 FX-SHO from PWCPerfomance. Great guys at PWCPerformance. Stage 1 includes intake, exhaust, ribbon delete, intake grate, ride plate, impeller, etc. I am in the process of installing everything and I am debating whether or not I should switch out the Impeller. The kit included a Solas DynaFly 13/22R impeller. My main objective for installing the Stage 1 kit was to get better performance "out of the gate". Top speed was not really as important since I was getting 65-66mph stock.

I realize that I may have to switch out the impeller anyway due to the added horsepower but I wanted to hear from other members about their experiences.

Thanks.

+1
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for shopping in the forums online store!

To answer your question, yes you will definitely want to change the impeller to the one included with your kit. Any time you increase power output the pitch of the impeller needs to increase to match your modifications. Riva determined through a lot of testing that the impeller provided perfectly matches the modifications in the stage 1 kit.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    The difference in performance between the stock prop and a Skat Swirl is a huge difference. Unless all you want is top speed, ditch the stock prop. I tried a repitched stocker and it sucked.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    The difference in performance between the stock prop and a Skat Swirl is a huge difference. Unless all you want is top speed, ditch the stock prop. I tried a repitched stocker and it sucked.
    i love my stock prop re pitched. But thats just me, the solas will give you more top end but it will give you cavitation like shit from the hole.

I have had my solas prop repitched several times to match my mods. With the exception of a little mid range acceleration, my stock untouched prop has been far better. The skat prop seems to be more popular then the solas.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    i love my stock prop re pitched. But thats just me, the solas will give you more top end but it will give you cavitation like shit from the hole.
    I think so too,Stock props on a lightly modded (low psi) ski works perfect .the solas gives you 1mph on top over the pitch stock. A 13/23pitch on stock prop is equal to a 13/18 solas.

Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    I have had my solas prop repitched several times to match my mods. With the exception of a little mid range acceleration, my stock untouched prop has been far better. The skat prop seems to be more popular then the solas.

Lou
    skat has more lower end pull on the other hand solas cavitates like a dog but after 25mph IMO it out performs the skat. so it all depends on what you want.

+1
    The Solas works great with the stage 1 kit it was designed to work with. If you try and use it on a ski making more power than a stage 1 then yes, you will have cavitation issues on the hole shot.

Is the solas for just stage 1? With the stage 1, fizzle intercooler and both r1 and r3, I have better speed with my stock prop with accleration and top end. I always take it easy up to 20 mph.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Is the solas for just stage 1? With the stage 1, fizzle intercooler and both r1 and r3, I have better speed with my stock prop with accleration and top end. I always take it easy up to 20 mph.

Lou
    no, I've got one on a 95mph ski and it works very well after 25mph.

Thread Information