Pistons and color code question

When looking at the stock pistons, there are four "std" ones that are listed as four different colors (I forget the exact colors, but lets just say 'blue', 'red', 'green', and 'yellow')... If these are all std size pistons, what do the colors mean? OR does it mean they are all a "standard type" piston, but each is oversize??

Thanks

+1
    They are all std size just vary slightly in size its a very small diff like a few thousandths of an inch,just for more of a precision fit,if you look at the cyl it should have a number stamped in it and that number will have a certian piston color code for it

Thanks. For the record... I looked up the actual colors and they are: Red, Orange, Green, Purple.

Where do you find the "number to color" corelation? Is this the "A0, B0, C0, D0" at the end of the part number? (I may answer this myself when I go out an actually look closely at the cylinder to see what numbers are on it). I'm just looking to replace a stock piston and rings. They cylinder has a light scratch, but I'm hoping still usable with a good piston and rings

66V-11631-00-A0 PISTON (STD) (Red)
    66V-11631-00-B0 PISTON (STD) (Orange)

Quote Originally Posted by kmc View Post
    Thanks. For the record... I looked up the actual colors and they are: Red, Orange, Green, Purple.

Where do you find the "number to color" corelation? Is this the "A0, B0, C0, D0" at the end of the part number? (I may answer this myself when I go out an actually look closely at the cylinder to see what numbers are on it). I'm just looking to replace a stock piston and rings. They cylinder has a light scratch, but I'm hoping still usable with a good piston and rings

66V-11631-00-A0 PISTON (STD) (Red)
    66V-11631-00-B0 PISTON (STD) (Orange)

Just look on the top of each cylinder on each of the top cylinder corners. You can see the numbers even with the head on. They are stamped on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Just look on the top of each cylinder on each of the top cylinder corners. You can see the numbers even with the head on. They are stamped on it.
    OK, I see that. So on my 2003 GP800R it has an "10" and on the 2001 GP1200R it has a "14"... how do I corelate that to which piston?

+1
    0-5 red
    6-10 orange
    11-15 green
    16-18 purple

thats if there's no wear

sub'n

I have two cylinders original and they are both labelled as 14's on top measuring #1 measures - 79.99mm # 2 is 80mm

80.mm for the new cylinder. It's labeled as a 6 but my originals are labelled as 14's and the 6 is the same bore as the original two.

What color piston do I need for a 80mm bore? Red or Orange? Or some other color?

Thread Information