Thread: Intake Grate

Intake Grate

Going to be putting in the pump shoe seal and the R&D intake grate on my '12 FZS. Anything I should know ahead of time? Do I need to silicone anything? I thought I saw somewhere that I needed to silicone the new intake grate. Thanks for the help. Tony

+1
    There are 3 pieces to the seal kit. The one is obvious where that goes. The other two, I have no idea till I take it apart. I imagine you silicone the black pieces in? I'm in for answers to. I see from the Riva install directions you silicone around the front bolts, rear sides and back edge of the pump shoe. I'm really surprised R&D sends NO directions with these parts!! WTH

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside518 View Post
    There are 3 pieces to the seal kit. The one is obvious where that goes. The other two, I have no idea till I take it apart. I imagine you silicone the black pieces in? I'm in for answers to. I see from the Riva install directions you silicone around the front bolts, rear sides and back edge of the pump shoe. I'm really surprised R&D sends NO directions with these parts!! WTH
    Yea...just shrink wrapped to cardboard

+1
    I've noticed the riva parts come with much better instructions for almost everything they sell. Luckily you can go on the riva site and download the instructions. I would use their instructions if you have r&d parts.

+1
    I notice the difference between the two websites info wise on parts! You would think R&D would have more support. Specs, gains, info.... Anything!!! They don't try to market their products, thats for sure! I have used R&D parts on my other race skis, those parts were always really straight forward and self explained for waveblasters.

+1
    The main piece goes into the grate itself(pretty obvious) The other 2 pieces fill the voids in the transom plate. The piece that fits into the grate will stick out 1/8"-3/16"(it's been awhile) that is intentional not just crappy quality control.

When you install the grate. you want to push the rear of the grate up into the transom plate until the rubber that is sticking out of the grate goes into the remaining void of the transom plate. Once it's in, bolt it up. Sealing the grate is optional. I don't because i feel the plug kit does a good enough job on it's own.

EDIT: The shaded in part of the pic shows where the other 2 pieces of plug go into the transom plate. There will still be a small amount of space after the plugs are installed(wont be flush) That is where the extra from the grate plug fills in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51813_jetunit13.gif 
Views:	125 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	280519

8. +1 by:

+1
    ^^^^ Awesome! Thank you. I was looking at that 1/8" and curious about that. Tried to push it in farther which was a no go. lol That now makes sense.

+1
    If you want to seal it use 3M 4200 Marine Silicon. The 4200 is strong but removable and made for below waterline applications. The 5200 is considered permanent and would be a major PITA to remove the grate if you ever needed to.

Thread Information