Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gpr revs up but goes nowhere

went out on the river today and got up to speed and i heard a funny noise like pump vibration so i slowed down but when i tried to accelerate the ski would rev up but would not plane out. it will still move at idle speed but when i give it the throttle it wont go. i have installed the pump seal kit because i had a similar situation with the jet drive last summer. put the pump seal kit and used 4200 during reassembly. impeller is still turning. seems like the pump broke seal again. i thought the seal kit would eliminate the problem of pump cavitation. any advise will be appreciated.

+1
    I asusme you check the intake grate?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rich.allen View Post
    went out on the river today and got up to speed and i heard a funny noise like pump vibration so i slowed down but when i tried to accelerate the ski would rev up but would not plane out. it will still move at idle speed but when i give it the throttle it wont go. i have installed the pump seal kit because i had a similar situation with the jet drive last summer. put the pump seal kit and used 4200 during reassembly. impeller is still turning. seems like the pump broke seal again. i thought the seal kit would eliminate the problem of pump cavitation. any advise will be appreciated.
    check for a branch or something caught between you impeller and pump liner.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    had a guy with an ice bag stuck around his prop...tough plastic wouldn't come off or get processed ( it was a yamaha)..vibrated horrid and didn't plane out. Tell the ski to say ahhh and look down the pump tunnel with a good flashlight.

+1
    I had a rubber exhaust coupler come loose,engine would rev up but ski would barely make it up the ez port

i checked the pump tunnel today no foreign objects stuck inside. i tried to turn the impeller to see if it was loose and it was still tight. i think the pump may have broken seal, might have not used enough 4200 during assembly. i am going to take everything back apart and clean it up and 4200 the heck out of it this time and see what happens.

+1
    if a wear ring gets bad enough they will do this, did you check the clearance between wear ring and impeller

i read in a thread that the oem wear ring is an aluminum ring with a stainless sleeve pressed into it and that over time the corrosion will cause it to swell and collapse onto the impeller. can i check the cearance with a feeler gauge? from what i can see the ring is not touching the impeller. does the cavitation come from too much claerance between the impeller and the ring?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rich.allen View Post
    does the cavitation come from too much claerance between the impeller and the ring?
    yes

+1

Re: gpr revs up but goes nowhere

Also be sure to check the splines on the drive shaft to the intermediate shaft. Gotta pull the motor forward some and the pump out. My friends gpr just had same symptoms. Stripped splines on a 2000 gpr. Upgrading his to the 02 setup for now. His would barely creep across the water but rev fine in and out of water. Hope this helps any!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information