Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2007 Kawi STX 12F overheating

This is my first kawasaki jet ski. I tried out a STX 15F, it was an amazing machine...

So here is what I have.

The machine runs great on land (with the hose attached to flush connector), does not over heat
    and water comes out the right side of the machine (as it should)

In the water, it over heated after about a minute, and only smoke was coming out of the little water sprayer on the right side.

I took apart the pipes where it meets the jet pump (the two running to the left and the right side of the hull). I blew air in them..seems to be clogged in there..

Is there a particular spot that I need to clean? How do people fix the clogs? Hanger? Drano? A mini stick of dynamite?

Anyone know where exactly these machines usually get plugged up?

dirt dobbers will plug em up most of the time, either way start at pump and work towards engine, may have to disassabble some parts, an eye through it is best, as these engines dont take kindly to overheating.

Have you tried blowing compressed air into following places?
    1. Side pisser
    2. Flush hose
    3. Two cooling inlet hoses at the white plastic bulk head fittings
    4. and (same above) bulk head fittings

If still continue to overheat, it is most likely the (approx) 8.0"L x 0.75"dia aluminum pipe just under the intake manifold. Corrosion forms inside the pipe and restricts the water flow into the engine.

I like your humor.

Quote Originally Posted by vwmikey99 View Post
    How do people fix the clogs? Hanger? Drano? A mini stick of dynamite?

Hey thanks for the help! Will have another look at it today...

Is it possible to hook these machines up to water without the motor running? (or would I end up filling up the crankcase?)

So I could start using water and and air as a flushing agent?

I blew compressed air though both of the inlet hoses off the plastic fittings near the jet pump and it seems to be plugged there.

It is clear between the plastic fittings and the jet pump...but blowing air the other way...both of the lines appear to be plugged.

Has anyone tried to run CLR through the system?

never water when engine is off, unless your 100% sure the engine has been completely isolated from water intrusion.

using compressed air can rupture/dislodge hoses and/or fittings, sometimes it has to be used, just use it cautiously, but that does not indicate 100% clear, when you can see through it with no obstruction then its clean.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    using compressed air can rupture/dislodge hoses and/or fittings, sometimes it has to be used, just use it cautiously, but that does not indicate 100% clear, when you can see through it with no obstruction then its clean.
    Been doing that for 10+ years on skis, inc 12F and 15F, and NEVER had a problem.
    You are not constantantly applying the compressed air anyway when you know that air is not passing through because of obstrustion. You apply for a few second and stop. No damage done.

OP,

When engine is running either on garden hose or on water (better this way) for about 5-7 minutes, put your hand on following parts and find out which one gets the HOTTEST:

1. Exhaust manifold
    2. Exhaust 4-1 pipe
    3. Cyl block

In that way, you can focus/pin-point what part of cooling passage might be clogged.

alrighty...I think I found the clog..

It is on the PTO side of the motor, end of the crankcase seems to be plugged with sand or something that looks just like it..

Does anyone have an idea of what part I am talking about? or how to clean it without making this a life long project?

I believe it is called an output cover?

I don't know the history of this machine, I bought it last week.

Can the output cover just be bypassed?

the output cover cannot be bypassed, limited space there as well, remove both hoses and pick at the stopage with a drill bit by hand, attach a 1/2" hose to a garden hose and try and flush it out through both sides, trip to hardware store for hose and adapter may be needed, but continue to make sure all stopage is cleared before running under power.

Quote Originally Posted by vwmikey99 View Post
    alrighty...I think I found the clog..

It is on the PTO side of the motor, end of the crankcase seems to be plugged with sand or something that looks just like it..
    Does anyone have an idea of what part I am talking about? or how to clean it without making this a life long project?
    I believe it is called an output cover?
    You got the name right... almost. AKA it is Stator Cover.

Here is the pic of the 15F Stator Cover.

Here is a pic of the 300X Stator Cover which I removed recently. It is slightly different in shape from the 15F/12F, but the internal design is very similar (see 2nd pic).

You won the 1/2 the battle by finding the clog. I think the other 1/2 would be a downhill battle for you.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information