+1

Ever paint Hydroturf?

Well, I haven't liked the looks of this 92 SL650 I've been working on. It was never a well-cared for machine, was left sitting in a field for 10 years before I got it, etc. So I stripped the graphics, painted the hood, recovered the seat, painted the rub rails, and the latest thing I wanted to change was the blue and pink hydroturf.

I decided to try to dye the turf, because if it didn't work, I'll just change it anyways. I used Dupli Color's Vinyl and Fabric Coating, Walmart for $4 a can. A quick trip to the carwash got the worst of the oil and grime off it.

It looks decent, and is still flexible. I'll keep everybody posted as to how it holds up!

My experiments with painting the rubrails didn't work out too well. I asked around on how to do this, and before anybody got back to me on it, I just went ahead and used Krylon Fusion. I cleaned it, but didn't prime it, and while it looks ok, it is easily scraped off. I later found out that the best way to do this is to use bumper paint, and then polyurethane clear over top of it. Here's a pic of the worst of it, things that you grab or handle a lot don't hold up (rear grab rail, gas cap)

+1
    For cheap mats I went to walmart and bought a yoga mat for $12.00 and it was enough for two ski's Its not as thick as hydroturf but it looks good and the price is right. Not a great pic but you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1082.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	973.7 KB 
ID:	15897  

I've been wondering the same thing. I bought a set of hydroturf mats that are black, but their logo is in pink. I was thinking of painting it or leaving the pink out of it. Please let us know how well or bad it dose.

R

+1
    If you call and ask Hydroturf, they'll tell you not to paint their material and if you do, it wont stand-up. Now it could be they say this in order to get you to buy new mats from them so who knows...so keep us posted on how well it lasts.

+1
    Ooh, I like the yoga mat idea! I wonder if that could be found in black, I need to cover 2 Kawi 440 standups. I was looking at Hydroturf's "B" stock, $25 a sheet covers two standups. Only comes in dark gray with diamond grooves, which I like, but not everybody does...

I've also got an email in to Hydroturf, to see if I can just buy the logo in White, I'll let you know what the charge is, if they even will sell that. Mine was pink also, so I just painted it black along with everything else.

+1
    Update:

I got an email from HydroTurf in response to my request for replacement lettering; no charge!

I'll post when I've used the ski a few times to say how the black painted turf is holding up.

+1
    That is great customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Update:

I got an email from HydroTurf in response to my request for replacement lettering; no charge!

I'll post when I've used the ski a few times to say how the black painted turf is holding up.

+1
    You should be able to Dye it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by delagem View Post
    Update:

WOW, those guys always go over and beyond!

Thread Information