Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Newbie looking to buy

2011 with 500hrs - whats the life on VX Sport engine

I am looking at my first PWC, i found a Yamaha VX Sport 2011 with 500 hrs (was a rental). Engine is said to be maintained and in great shape. What should i be looking for as i test ride it this Saturday? The asking price is $3,500. I have had conversations with the individual, its not a scam, its a rental business that went out of business. Its a local guy for me.

I am reaching out to you experts out there on what i should be looking for to validate this is a 'okay' purchase. Also, how many hours can you put on those entry level VX110 Yamaha engines with proper maintenance. I assume a replacement engine is around $2k from what i see on these boards.

Thanks in advance,
    H...

+1
    Rentals run for 1000's of hours because there ridden daily.
    When you use them only 2-3 times a month after being a rental they tend to break down a lot more than if they were left in service.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd suggest paying up to $2000 more for a nice yamaha with far far lower hours then this one..and being a rental..well....

you don't wave your magic wand and have a fresh everything installed for 2k

Newbie looking to buy
    I would only be using it the 2-3 times a month as you described. Everything looks excellent , brand new, on it. Was thinking if i get it for $3k then even if i put a motor in it (if neeeded) then i only have $5k in a 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by harbrown View Post
    I am looking at my first PWC, i found a Yamaha VX Sport 2011 with 500 hrs (was a rental). Engine is said to be maintained and in great shape. What should i be looking for as i test ride it this Saturday? The asking price is $3,500. I have had conversations with the individual, its not a scam, its a rental business that went out of business. Its a local guy for me.

I am reaching out to you experts out there on what i should be looking for to validate this is a 'okay' purchase. Also, how many hours can you put on those entry level VX110 Yamaha engines with proper maintenance. I assume a replacement engine is around $2k from what i see on these boards.

Thanks in advance,
    H...
    Hands down the most rented PWC ever is the Yamaha VX Sport. Believe it or not the fact that it's coming out of a rental fleet is usually a good thing because they do regular maintenance on them. 500 hrs is nothing if it's been maintained correctly. I've heard tails of VX's with 4000 + hours on them without incident. Do take it for a good long test ride and don't be afraid to pin it for a long period of time. I think it should show about 54 mph on the speedo at WOT. Ask if he rented it with the learner mode "on" only. Not sure if that particular model had a learning mode but many rental companies do it for longevity reasons. Good luck.

+1
    It's a rental, so it hasn't been babied. There will be other considerations - hull condition, prop, pump & wear to other components.
    Is it a saltwater or freshwater rental?
    I wouldn't look it from the angle of "even if I have to drop 2k in a new motor", since you'd then have 5.5-6k in a used ski with a rebuilt motor.

With the 2013s now rolling out, you may be able to find a leftover "new" 2010 or 2011 in the neighborhood of 6.5k. Have you checked on what the dealers within a few hundred miles of you may have leftover?

Newbie looking to buy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    It's a rental, so it hasn't been babied. There will be other considerations - hull condition, prop, pump & wear to other components.
    Is it a saltwater or freshwater rental?
    I wouldn't look it from the angle of "even if I have to drop 2k in a new motor", since you'd then have 5.5-6k in a used ski with a rebuilt motor.

With the 2013s now rolling out, you may be able to find a leftover "new" 2010 or 2011 in the neighborhood of 6.5k. Have you checked on what the dealers within a few hundred miles of you may have leftover?

Definitely salt water use, exclusively Beach Rental. I will check all you mentioned. Not too many unsold 2010 or 2011 out there and would grab one for 6.5k for sure. thanks for the heads up.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    The most hours I've heard of was 1000..on a rental..I know those yammie engines are mighty fine but I think 4k hours is a bit of a stretch personally.

sounds like a good feature for this site.."show us your hour meter"

our local rental outfit often sells their seadoos when they reach 500 hours.(non turbo models) I've seen more then one of em ( I get em for stuff their in house mechanic can't deal with)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Good point.

+1
    I've seen rentals with up to 2600 hours.
    Yeah they were beat to hell but still ran.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information