Hours on a 1997 SeaDoo GS?? Anyone know how to get them?

I bought a 97 GS and there is no meter for the hours. Is there any way to find out?

I need to get a new key programmed and wonder if there is a micro chip in the key or something that can be read when re-keying???

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    when you are hooked up to make a program a key, any of the products on market can give you a read on the engine hours. The least expensive one is the Candoo pro home version @ 400 followed by the seadoo handheld ( used only ebay -800-1500).

Any shop that can make a key can tell you the hours ( don't be surprised if some shops wants to squeeze a few more bucks out of you for this info- I provide it gratis as should any decent shop as it is a fine opportunity to get you to service other parts of your ski....Wow $400 hours..maybe we should change that jetpump oil yathink?))

I was hoping that was the case. Since I will be getting a new key...I'll have him check the hours too. He has done some good work for me already...so I'm sure he wouldn't charge me if it is no cost to him.

When I was cleaning out the storage containers under the front hood...I found some cards that were rental info cards!! Not sure if that is a good thing assuming the ski must have been maintained for renters or if its a bad thing where renters probably dogged the crap out of it. All in all...its in good condition and runs great (so far). Had a friend GPS our speed and he said it was about 54-57mph!! I find that hard to believe out of a 97 GS that is all stock...and I weigh close to 230 lbs! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that model was supposed to top out around 47mph or so???

Thanks for the heads up!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    stop checking your gps while running downriver..... or with that big tailwind....

rental or not, typical use is wfo or idling rentals tend to get regular maintenance on the stuff you can't see. If the cosmetics are in good shape and you are getting 50+ out of it, you've got a good one!

I make a point of putting the hours noted on work orders..even if I am not making a key..I always check the hours on skis without a user accessible hour meter for mutual protection.

I hope its a good one. What should I be getting for top speed out of it? It felt way faster than I expected...but I have very little experience on a ski and there's no telling if he was pulling my leg when he said mid 50's.

Thanks for the info

50-52 is about right for that model. No way that it can do 57, as this is the speed of the GSX, which has the 787 engine (a lot more HP at 110, versus yours with 85)

That's what I thought. Still happy with 50-52 for an old ski though

Thread Information