Thread: as versus is

as versus is

So i got pre approved and my dealer found me a is chassis 260 rxtx. i wanted to see what people that had ridden both or might know why as over is or the other way. before i pull the trigger i want to make sure i male the right decision

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    So i got pre approved and my dealer found me a is chassis 260 rxtx. i wanted to see what people that had ridden both or might know why as over is or the other way. before i pull the trigger i want to make sure i male the right decision
    Ridden both of what? What are you asking? lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
    Ridden both of what? What are you asking? lol
    The RXT-X aS 260 or the RXT iS 260

Yes I have only ridden an AS my buddy has one. I want to know the differences weak points etc I just dont want to buy another machine without talking to some owners. 20/20 hindsight I would be leary of paying full price for a machine that has valves that can break if they rust and ceramic S/C washers two major issues with that model. The IS has alot of electronics and I want to hear real world I have had great luck no issues or 10 different people say watch oout the ECM that runs the suspension goes all the time they are expensive etc and so on. I am buying new so I will have Warranty for 2 years but I have to pay for 4 years.

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I own an iS but have ridden an aS. The iS suspension can be raised or lowered with the push of a button and is a softer setup compared to the aS. The iS also comes stock with more bells and whistles such as boarding ladder and Cruise/Slow Mode. The max suspension height is 6 inches.

The height on the aS must be adjusted manually via a special wrench. It's height maxes out at 5 inches but is a firmer ride. Plus you can adjust the firmness quickly with the shock reservoir inside the storage compartment.

The iS is able to more quickly adjust to changing conditions. If I'm riding the narrow St. John's, I run the suspension all the way down. But sometimes we hit an open lake on a windy day and I can quickly raise it all the way up. With the aS, you'll have to pick a height and leave it, unless you want to beach it and change the settings every 5 minutes. Probably a much better offshore machine.

I've never had any issues with my suspension.

Hope this helps.

+1
    Yes I have only ridden an AS my buddy has one. I want to know the differences weak points etc I just dont want to buy another machine without talking to some owners. 20/20 hindsight I would be leary of paying full price for a machine that has valves that can break if they rust and ceramic S/C washers two major issues with that model. The IS has alot of electronics and I want to hear real world I have had great luck no issues or 10 different people say watch oout the ECM that runs the suspension goes all the time they are expensive etc and so on. I am buying new so I will have Warranty for 2 years but I have to pay for 4 years.
    Had my iS since May'09, no issues with the suspension. Running in saltwater only, no issues with rusty valves (or rust period) other than 2 drive shafts had to be replaced. Both corroded heavily despite vigorous cleaning BUT that is not an aS or iS issue, its across all models. Seems like they had an issue on driveshafts. Neither iS or aS ever had ceramic washers, no issue there.
    Had one ECM replaced, on warranty (Price??) due to spider cracks on the display and water intusion. All issue on mine resulted from a dealer not knowing what he was doing after the shock that holds the seat up (not the suspension) caused some major damage to the upper deck when it failed. Thats just a bad design I see on every Seadoo, those shocks and the flimsy install is just all around bad.

Again, no issues with the suspension at ~130h. No major issues other than driveshaft rusting and the dealer assembling items incorrectly. Nothing I paid for, mine came with 5 year warranty and I'm glad I have it. I suggest getting extended warranty whichever you pick. Get insurance on top of it, at that price it's worth it.

Biggest drawback imho on both iS and aS is the ability to clean under the suspended deck. It's easy to raise on the iS and flush, not so easy with a handcrank but that might be just preference. The aS is a little lighter. I doubt you can feel the difference with respect to acceleration, speed and handling if you are a weekend warrior. The iS does adapt quickly to changing wave patterns, I ride in the Gulf and wouldn't pick another ski.
    Neither is a high speed racing ski due to the added weight but you easily due 69mph out of the box and these things are nimble as heck. Yes, you can jump waves with either, check videos here in the forum, you see some in the background. Not sure if that is recommended though.

If your back ever hurt after a days ride, pick a ski with suspension. If you have fairly stable water conditions pick an aS, if the wave pattern changes frequently go with an iS. If you are on flat water mostly, pick anything but a suspended ski.

Drawback on iS and aS are both the same I think: not tuning friendly due limited access. Not easily maintained at home.
    On the other hand, interior stays bone dry, no cleaning needed, no worries even in saltwater. Protective spray once per season and it looks like new.

as vs is

Have one of each- 2012 models. I got the as because I liked the adjustability of the handlebars, sponsons, etc. Plus, IMHO the black/ yellow is better looking. My wife liked the is looks better and does not care to mess with adjustments. She just wants to go fast, and they both do that VERY well. Both are amazing sleds. We ride them on fresh water lake that is just plain nasty rough on weekends. We are both experienced riders, and our backs have thanked us many times.

Thank you guys. The dealer couldnt find me an AS anyways so it kind of made my mind up for me LOL Hopefully picking up my new 2012 IS 260 Friday

Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I own an iS but have ridden an aS. The iS suspension can be raised or lowered with the push of a button and is a softer setup compared to the aS. The iS also comes stock with more bells and whistles such as boarding ladder and Cruise/Slow Mode. The max suspension height is 6 inches.

The height on the aS must be adjusted manually via a special wrench. It's height maxes out at 5 inches but is a firmer ride. Plus you can adjust the firmness quickly with the shock reservoir inside the storage compartment.

The iS is able to more quickly adjust to changing conditions. If I'm riding the narrow St. John's, I run the suspension all the way down. But sometimes we hit an open lake on a windy day and I can quickly raise it all the way up. With the aS, you'll have to pick a height and leave it, unless you want to beach it and change the settings every 5 minutes. Probably a much better offshore machine.

I've never had any issues with my suspension.

Hope this helps.
    +1
    I have a '12 iS with 21 hours. No problems yet...
    Didn't want the aS and have to manually change serttings all the time with a wrench.

Thread Information