Solas Impeller boot will not stay attached to impeller

I just put the recommended Solas Impeller - SR-CD-12/20 on my 2005 4-Tec S/C. Ski has great jump out of the hole and good top speed. Problem is, the aluminum billet impeller boot (with 3 internal O rings) comes detached from the impeller and backs about 2 inches up the drive shaft. This leaves the drive shaft splines exposed to salt water within the impeller. The aluminum billet boot is a very tight fit into the impeller and has to be given a good whack with a plastic mallet. I have replaced the first impeller boot with a new one and problem still persists. Any ideas?

+1
    The trick to keeping them screwed on the impeller is use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and knick the threads on the nose cone in 3 places. Then use red loc tite on the threads and screw it down. You will never have to worry about it coming off again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    The trick to keeping them screwed on the impeller is use a flat head screw driver and a hammer and knick the threads on the nose cone in 3 places. Then use red loc tite on the threads and screw it down. You will never have to worry about it coming off again.
    I had his problem as well with my modified GTX 185. There are no threads on the 185 solas recommended impeller. I tried without success to keep it attached and the last go round I just removed it. I liked having the zero cavitation from a dead stop the cone provided, but it did not last long-- o-ring would break and the cone would walk up the shaft.

Anybody have a fix for this?-- I was contiplating having my machine shop friend make up a stainless 1 and welding it onto the impeller. Or going to the 215 drive setup that uses the threads.

Thread Information