Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

used parts sales ethics question

Approximately 4 months ago I sold a MFD to a member here that I had repaired and was working perfectly when I sent it out. I also shipped a 8 pin deutsch connector with instructions on how to swap the plug from the 12 pin to the 8 pin. Just today I hear back from this person that he just tested the MFD for the first time because he wants to sell it and he says it doesn't work. He wants me to refund his money, which I think is not reasonable because of the time frame that this all happened in. If it was a week later I would have no problem refunding the money, but after 4 months. I will gladly look at the MFD and see if it works, and try to fix it if it doesn't. I'm pretty sure if I refuse to refund the money that I will get publicly blasted for not doing so. I want some opinions. What should I do????

+1
    4 months is a long time and a lot could of happened during that time period.

How much $$ are we talking here?

+1
    I would let him know you would like the opportunity to inspect and repair the unit for him. If you find it to be in a condition other than when you sent it out, I would let him know the same and deny a refund. Most of these sales should be considered final and non-refundable unless the product is found DOA or not as described. I believe 4 Months is an excessive amount of time and that the individual failed to inspect the merchandise within a reasonable amount of time. I usually have my stuff installed within hours of receipt.......

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I am more than happy and willing to look at it and attempt to fix it. I know where to look to see if it was incorrectly connected as well. I am just afraid I will get completely blasted on here if I don't refund the money. I only sold it for 100 bucks, since I had repaired faded digits and it had been cut open. I try to be as honest and fair as I can, but to me, an electrical part after 4 months or more it just too long of a time.

+1
    you looking at it and seeing if you can fix it is more then fair after 4 months and if you open it up and find it burned up then it's on him or he just hasn't wired it right to begin with and you might get it back and it''s fine

+1
    Save everything, and if he comes on here just throw up the screen shots of you offering to fix it. Also, I've had items that after several months I found an issue, even though I hadn't opened it previously, and I didn't even contact the seller. If you don't inspect it within a reasonable amount of time, you lose your opportunity to bitch, IMO.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    you looking at it and seeing if you can fix it is more then fair after 4 months and if you open it up and find it burned up then it's on him or he just hasn't wired it right to begin with and you might get it back and it''s fine
    I agree....go above an beyond and take a look, but no more.

+1
    4 months is way too long for a used electrical part. 30 days at my shop & thats generous.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    +1

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    I promise not to blast you.

$100 is cheap for an MFD IMHO. Should have tested it upon arrival.

I can promise you when/if I sell any MFDs there will be stipulations about testing/returning them. The question "Why did yours die?" comes to mind.

I hate to say it, but we now live in a world where the people who CAN'T fix things think the people who CAN are beholden to them to do so. These folks need to learn at BEST they are RENTING the minds of those who understand things...do not think for a moment you have BOUGHT me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information