+1

Head resurface question, can I or do I?

I have a blown head gasket, so yes theres my water leak. What I found was, that there are very little pockets, where I think the water was boiled off, I dont want to reinstall it though as is, it wouldnt take much to resurface it, do I need to pull the valves first? Heck can I even do it? The intakes look very, very close.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    I have a blown head gasket, so yes theres my water leak. What I found was, that there are very little pockets, where I think the water was boiled off, I dont want to reinstall it though as is, it wouldnt take much to resurface it, do I need to pull the valves first? Heck can I even do it? The intakes look very, very close.
    A reputable machine shop needs to do it IMO and since the valves have to come out a valve job may as well be done. After I blew my second one I had SF do mine and lighten my valves.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    A reputable machine shop needs to do it IMO and since the valves have to come out a valve job may as well be done. After I blew my second one I had SF do mine and lighten my valves.
    I have a friend who runs a performance shop, so I will have him do it.
    Thanks

if you have access to a granite block i.e. machine shop some 320 glued down to it will do the trick just do figure 8's!

as stated above- you can indeed resurface the head. typical rule of thumb is to remove no more than 0.004 of an inch, on either surface. be sure to check the fsm. spinyard- good call on the granite block...favorite trick at the shop for resurfacing corroded fuel pump blocks on 1200 pv carbs...note, stepping up to 400 and even 600 wouldn't be a bad idea, if you decide to tackle it yourself. fair warning: try to have as few of splits in the sand paper as possible. If performed at a machine shop, request a pressure test to ensure proper seal of the mating surface and the valve seals.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crash15333 View Post
    as stated above- you can indeed resurface the head. typical rule of thumb is to remove no more than 0.004 of an inch, on either surface. be sure to check the fsm. spinyard- good call on the granite block...favorite trick at the shop for resurfacing corroded fuel pump blocks on 1200 pv carbs...note, stepping up to 400 and even 600 wouldn't be a bad idea, if you decide to tackle it yourself. fair warning: try to have as few of splits in the sand paper as possible. If performed at a machine shop, request a pressure test to ensure proper seal of the mating surface and the valve seals.
    I had my buddy do it, he runs a race shop, and they build race engines, I got it back to day, he completely redid it, did some porting (just cleand it up), valve job, and decked it just enough to clean it up, and make sure it was true.

+1
    Use a stock headgasket when you seal it back up bro. IMO the Riva is no better.

Thread Information