Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

07 RXT won't top out

I know this has probably been answered a hundred times but I couldnt ever find the same situation as I'm having.
    My 07 RXT runs great for starters. It just never gets over 7,100 RPM and tops out at 60 MPH
    It seems everyones sc problems are only hitting lower RPMs and lower MPH than I am.
    I'm new to jetskiing and this is my 1st ski I've owned. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

forgot to add the ski is completly stock. The sc has been rebuilt about 50 hrs ago and I dont know if it has ceramic washers or not.

Banned User
    +1
    Check the slip on the SC and check the impeller for damage.

+1
    Could have a boost leak, low charger slip, damaged prop, and wear ring,or pump bearing issue.....

+1
    Take a look in your pump area and make sure your OPAS hose is connected at the top of the pump. If that hose comes loose the OPAS paddles will stay in the dropped down position and you'll never do faster than 60 mph.

+1
    I always start with a new set of plugs! Very cheap and it atleast eliminates one possible cause.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    Could have a boost leak, low charger slip, damaged prop, and wear ring,or pump bearing issue.....
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    I always start with a new set of plugs! Very cheap and it atleast eliminates one possible cause.
    I agree with the above. However, the RXT 215's had OPAS paddles that raise and lower based on water pressure coming from the pump. If the tube coming from the pump pops loose or is disconnected the ski will ride perfectly but you'll be stuck right at the speed and RPM you're currently maxing out at. Basically the paddles will never receive the water pressure and they'll be stuck in the down position creating constant drag. I've forgotten to reconnect this tube a few times after doing pump work. So before anything else, check and make sure it's connected. If not, it takes two seconds to fix.

It's part #33 on this diagram.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-08-17 at 9.32.43 AM.png 
Views:	217 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	280598

thanks for the replies. I checked the OPAS hose and its on. it seems the it will take a ton of water pressure to pull the paddles up. i pushed them up with my hands and wow they are way stiff. I havent had time to tear into the sc and see if its slipping yet. Hopefully I will get time here soon to check on the other things you guys have suggested. thanks again and I will post what I find out. It sounds like I am pulling the sc here for the season anyway and having Jerry rebuild it. I want to make sure it has the upgraded washers in it before I go trashing the motor. Just bought a RIVA intake grate for it I need to install also. I will pull the pump out and check the wear ring and impeller too. thanks again

So I put my new Riva top loader grate on today and siliconed every bolt hole on the ride plate and around the ride plate edges. I decided to block off the OPAS port because I blocked the paddles in the top position. I decided to look everything over on the pump and venturi and I noticed the nozzle was loose so I pulled it off and the plastic spacers that go around the top and bottom pivot bolts were destroyed letting the nozzle move up and down. Could this cause any issue with not hitting top speed or RPM?

+1
    i suspect when you get your SC back from Jerry your RPMs will be where they should be (around 8000), if you have no boost leaks. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Sundance; 08-28-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information