+1

FX SHO Turbo conversion revived.

After a less than happy end to the 2011 Hamilton Bridge to Bridge and an engine that was just scrap metal, we have dug deep and rebuilt all new and "better"
    Just a glimpse........

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Looks promising once you can stay in the throttle...sounds good too!

+1
    Congrats the ski looks amazing !!!!

+1
    Maybe this ski is not a conversion to the letter of the law but I see we "converted" a perfectly reliable family three seater into a turbocharged fire breather that is the most fun ski I have ridden ( and thats been a few ). Besides, this area of the forum is where all the guys that "A" have a few clues and "B" tinker lots hang out and the flow of tech info is all good.

The "COUCH" as it is known is owned by one of my customers who has been using us for his ski work for years. He likes to have a stealth looking ski that can toast his buddies as required and he gives me free reign on the mods to his ski's and while I do the labor, fab and testing, he covers the parts bills. Its an awesome development platform for us as the parts bill can get ugly when you are searching for the edge. From my testing and data to date, I have found the edge and hopefully this year at Bridge to Bridge will stay just a foot back from it!! Note to self...... after stripping out the stock pto couplers the week before the race last year and thinking it may be the banging on the limiter that was the cause, i raised the limiter to 10000. With the nice cold day and 22lbs of boost we saw on the day of the bridge, the motec collected data showing us hitting 10400 a few times and total demise followed soon after..... by by CP piston on Carrillo rod out through the side

It has now been rebuilt with JE Pistons, K1 rods, Riva valve train, 30/76 with internal wastegate that we had to mod to external as the internal could not relieve the boost enough to maintain stability. Tial watercooled external waste gate and Bosch blow off valve (cheap and reliable).
    We are on a new block and crank which was balanced for the rods and pistons. Everything on the end of the crank is new as per the manual.. I cant decide why they specify new mag rotor each time it is removed... someone may have thoughts on that.
    Riva head and base studs. The bearings were a point of interest as when we used the set from the Yamaha matrix they were to tight and we ended up at the other end of the scale to get clearence as required.
    Cams are stock with revised timing. Rad 4 Racing inlet manifold isolator and 1000cc injectors from GH Store.
    We run Motul oil (3100 for run in and 300V from there) and a race fuel that is 50% ethanol. Motec data showed my run in to be text book which is not usual for me as I can be a bit hard on the gear early, I guess its the cost of the four stroke rebuilds that slowed me down. Rebuild to date with labour being an in house write off is over 10K (NZ) in parts.
    Prop is an in house bent Skat with custom exit nozzle size and two 1 inch pump reliefs which are modded and flowed at Rad 4 Racing.
    5 water inlets with dedicated supply to IC and we bleed off water from the anode bung to feed the turbo and exhaust. Warm up takes longer but WOT has stable temps.

Thanks to Yamaha NZ and Jerry (GH) as well as GMC Autos for help, parts, funds and support.

+1

Think you can bring it over for this too??

Sun 05th May 2013 – Sydney Bridge to Bridge Boat Race PWC Class Hawkesbury River – Race Day - Enduro

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    Think you can bring it over for this too??

Sun 05th May 2013 – Sydney Bridge to Bridge Boat Race PWC Class Hawkesbury River – Race Day - Enduro
    If it lives through our B2B this year, the owner is keen for sure.
    He also has a GPR SHO I am just finnishing for him.

+1

Awesome!!

+1

Thread Information