Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharged 3 Seater - Which Yamaha Comparable to '07-09 RXT 215?

Hi All,

Been researching waverunners a fair amount the last month or so. My brother and I are looking to pickup a pair of used waverunners. We know we want 3 seaters looking the '06-09 vintage based on budget, looking mostly for cruising / pulling tubes etc. Originally we were thinking a couple Yamaha FX HOs from reading online. My brother then got out on a '04 Seadoo RXT 215 and really liked it so I started looking into these more and the supercharged 3 seater as an option. Seems like there are alot of known issues with these, fixes / solution info is all out here so that helps but just looking to all avenues.

Which Yamaha model is comparable to the '07-09 SeaDoo RXT 215? Is it the FX SHO?

This pair of skis will be staying with us for a long time, not planning on modding them much, mostly leaving them stock. Not looking for crazy top speed - 60-70mph is plenty. We are both very handy and plan on working on them (maintenance / repairs) ourselves as we do with our cars etc.

I stopped into a local PWC mechanic to get his opinion and he said go Sea Doo (do not know this guy at all just to know if I trust/respect his opinion or not just know he has been in business at this loation for a long time). Said Yamaha has a strong drivetrainbut the body etc do not seem to hold as well Sea Doos - is this true?

Seems like there a bunch more used Sea Doos available then Yamahas - is this due to market share (sell that many more Sea Doos) or because Yamaha owners keep them for the long haul because they love them?

I know the whole Sea Doo vs Yamaha debate is never ending but trying to get as much information as possible.

Thanks!

+1
    Look into the new FX HO, easy 60mph without a S/C ( supposed to hit 62-64mph).
    Nice 1.8L engine, great hull for all around and REAL 3 seater!

Are the '09-current FX HO all the same? From my research, '09 was when the 1800cc engine was added to the FX HO I just did not know if there were other changes after '09.

Thanks!

+1
    2012, Yamaha introduced new hull and top deck.
    I was told the new hull is great!

Other than small other change, still the same power plant!

+1
    Hull changes for FX (HO/SHO) in 2012 addressed rough water stability. If you plan to do a lot of ocean riding or riding in chop, the 2012 hull will be a better choice. Of course, you'll have fewer to choose from and dealers may be less motivated to deal than on the earlier models.

+1
    the reasobn you see more doo's for sale is most people can't wait to unload the POS and buy a reliable YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    the reasobn you see more doo's for sale is most people can't wait to unload the POS and buy a reliable YAMAHA
    Thanks for the info, this was part of why I posted in here I began to wonder how much value was to this thought....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post
    Which Yamaha model is comparable to the '07-09 SeaDoo RXT 215? Is it the FX SHO?

This pair of skis will be staying with us for a long time, not planning on modding them much, mostly leaving them stock. Not looking for crazy top speed - 60-70mph is plenty.
    We put over 700 combined hours on our RXT's they have a great hull in the chop and overall a great design, even though mechanically in my experience they are not as durable as the Yamahas. The older Doos shipped with the notorious ceramic washers and questionable valves.

There is a big difference between 60 mph and 70 mph on a PWC. Once you feel the power of a supercharged Sea-Doo you will probably not be happy with a non-SC model, so I would say you are correct; the closest thing in the Yam lineup to the RXT would be the FX SHO.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    Hull changes for FX (HO/SHO) in 2012 addressed rough water stability. If you plan to do a lot of ocean riding or riding in chop, the 2012 hull will be a better choice. Of course, you'll have fewer to choose from and dealers may be less motivated to deal than on the earlier models.
    I can't imagine how stability could improve over the older FX series. My 09 is the most stable PWC i've ever been on. Not saying that the new design isn't better, but I can put just about all of my 235lbs on one side of my ski and it doesn't roll. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 09-11 FX. I don't know anything about hulls older than that. Just buy the Yammi, you wont be dissapointed!

11. +1 by:

Thanks and keep the comments coming. I am trying to find a place to rent a FX HO to at least try out...I doubt I will find an SHO for rental.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information