+1

Help with removing oil pump on 150/1200

What exactly needs to be done with the rear balancer cavity? i just blocked off the injection fitting (thinking there would be oil in it from before i removed the pump, since i never split the cases) and 20 hrs later i burned up the balancer bearings. does the oil in that cavity get sucked thru the bleed valve from the neg crankcase pressure? do i need to block off that bleed valve? i filled the magneto side with oil and that side was fine. now that i have the cases split, i want to make sure its right this time. or, should i put on an oil pump? thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSki View Post
    What exactly needs to be done with the rear balancer cavity? i just blocked off the injection fitting (thinking there would be oil in it from before i removed the pump, since i never split the cases) and 20 hrs later i burned up the balancer bearings. does the oil in that cavity get sucked thru the bleed valve from the neg crankcase pressure? do i need to block off that bleed valve? i filled the magneto side with oil and that side was fine. now that i have the cases split, i want to make sure its right this time. or, should i put on an oil pump? thanks
    Best route is oil injection, but if you have gone this far, there is a check valve between the balancer cavity and the rest of the case. That needs to be blocked and you then have to change the oil in the case too after i thing 20 hrs. So it becomes a pain. There is a check valve in the mag and pto end.

Real bad idea on this motor.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cconigliaro View Post
    Real bad idea on this motor.
    Yes, a very poor choice on this particular motor as it was designed around the injection system.

Oil flow on the pto and mag lines are far less hen the center, as oil from the pto and mag cavities are sucked into the engine to balance the oil available to the crank.

Problem is when those check valves get fouled, the engine becomes a triple jug mosquito fogger on startup.

I'd suggest putting the injection pump back on and use the service manual to be sure you get the oil lines going to the right places.

I've got an ultra that I'm running factory triples on and wanted to go premix so I teed the three oil lines that went to the cylinders together and ran it back to the reservoir and put a fitting on the top of the tank so it just circulates and left the other lines the way they we're stock and so far that has worked great for me

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steward636 View Post
    I've got an ultra that I'm running factory triples on and wanted to go premix so I teed the three oil lines that went to the cylinders together and ran it back to the reservoir and put a fitting on the top of the tank so it just circulates and left the other lines the way they we're stock and so far that has worked great for me
    So, you're over-oiling the front & rear cylinders?

It does a little, but I've been running this way for awhile and it's worked perfect. I also know a few other people running this way with no issues.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Yup..and I know a few gals that <fill in blank> for a while with no problem either.

Been thru this a bunch of times. The u-150 is just oneof those engines you can't m,uch around with basic systems too much without havin problems.

Your problem will be an excessive carbon build up on #1 and 3..not really an issue if you clean it every season or two and run really really good quality oil.

+1
    So, what do you gain by doing this?

Factory pipe recommends premix... partially because the oil tank has to me removed to fit the pipes but, i didn't want to have to check the balance shaft cavities all the time so I went this route and just moved the tank after it was recommended to me by someone that had good luck with the same thing.

Thread Information