97 yamaha gp760 with protech B pipe...have carb jetting/rebuild questions....help

ive got a 97 yamaha gp760 with an aftermarket protech b model pipe on it...it hesitates and sometimes even stalls when you gun it from a stand still...figured its time to rebuild carbs....called riva and ordered the carb kit and also ordered the riva flame arrestors and adaptors....i was advised that with having the protech b pipe and riva flame arrestors that i should go with different jet sizes and spring that controls pop off pressure.....it was suggested that the main jet should be changed to .135 and the pilot changed to .120 and a 95 gram spring {which is dull silver in color} also advised to just use the old arm for the needle/seat...as its already factory pre-set.....never been into these mikuni carbs before and not wanting it to sound as if i am doubting the people at riva....just like to get a few opinions as well....what say you?? does this advice sound right for this set up with the protech b pipe and race style arrestors....any help would be great...thanks

+1
    They know there stuff pretty well. Start out with there suggestions.
    Also here's a link to the carb rebuild and tuning manual:

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf

+1

97 yamaha gp760 with protech B pipe...have carb jetting/rebuild questions....help

What is stock jetting on the 760?

I would go with Riva on this. The whole GP series has been tested and refined to a T it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    What is stock jetting on the 760?

I would go with Riva on this. The whole GP series has been tested and refined to a T it seems.
    book says main is 130,pilot is 115 and valve seat is 1.5........................all these views and nobody else has been down this road before???? help....want to get this right the first time and not have to go into it repeatedly...

+1
    We wanna help...but most of us are into the triples. The 760 doesn't get much attention around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    We wanna help...but most of us are into the triples. The 760 doesn't get much attention around here.
    i hear ya...sold my polaris 780......then got the itch to ride again and bought the yammy gp 760.....no comparison at all....but atleast im gettin wet....

+1

Seems right to me. U would probably need an increase on lows and highs. I would go with riva and then adjust accordingly. I hate trying to tune the triples or even just removing the carbs. But you only have 2 so it should be a lot easier with more room and only two to adjust.
    Also, this may get more interest in the 2-stroke area rather than te how to. Maybe a moderator can move it

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    Seems right to me. U would probably need an increase on lows and highs. I would go with riva and then adjust accordingly. I hate trying to tune the triples or even just removing the carbs. But you only have 2 so it should be a lot easier with more room and only two to adjust.
    Also, this may get more interest in the 2-stroke area rather than te how to. Maybe a moderator can move it
    thanks....will try to move it to the 2 stroke section...

Thread Information