Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 gtx 5000rpm's and up issues still there

Everything cleaned and or replaced from tank to carb's
    carb settings stock
    will run out of hole when warmed up to 6800rpm's on tach. then it fall's on face
    Will run half throttle fairly consestent rpm's just doesn't want to run anything over that.
    So could it be high speed adjuster?( Set at 0 turns now) raves? By the way it is getting fuel varified that through inline filter and longer hose with glove box removed. Any ideas greatly apperciated. Thanks, Nate

Well it looks like bellows shot on 1 rave and rave bldes were carboned bad. You would think the last guy(that put top end in before purchased, not by me) would have solved all normal issues.tempo lines,clean carb's, raves..... guess not . Last thing I would have thought to check since someone else had top end apart. hope this is it.. Nate

Replaced bellows and cleaned raves.... no change. So I guess after 40hrs of labor I'm out of things to do to impove rpm's except check timing......this is a freebee for a friend who has the option to return this ski. So he will be returning it to the guy who "rebuilt it " to figure out..... Just bothers me that I can't figure this one out. Nate

+1
    This sounds exactly like the issue addressed in service bulletin 97-20, "prolonged engine hesitation around 5000 RPM". The TSB only applies to 1997 GSX, GTX, and SPX models, so it shouldn't apply to yours unless something was changed that would make it affect you. Did the RAVE valves have two parallel slots in them or were they flat? Did the RAVE housings have a recess in the bypass hole cover or not? I'm thinking you may have gotten a mixture of pre-TSB and post-TSB parts if the blades were replaced and not the housings or vice-versa.

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=360029

+1
    Which RAVE valves did you have on there, slotted or flat? And which RAVE housings, with bypass hole recess or without? And does it have the original engine?

I think you may have a mismatch between your engine RAVE slot size, your RAVE valve types, and/or your RAVE housings. 1996 engines had the smaller slots. See Bombardier TSB 97-20, "prolonged engine hesitation around 5000RPM". The TSB does *not* apply to your engine, but maybe someone thought it did or maybe the valves and housings are mismatched. (Slotted valve should not be used with the housings with the recess, nor vice versa.)

Joel,
    yes it has slotted valves and the recess with the bypass hole in cover........... Man nice work if its true...... Witch would you change? New valves or different covers? Better get shopping thanks for info. . Nate
    Last edited by mopar2256; 08-25-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: info.

Are 787 and 951 housings the same(non ported)? Only ones I can find on e-bay. I can't open tsb at pwc today but from what I gather I need some red springs to run slotted raves with non ported housings??? I know this would be a cobble but could a guy just J.B weld the port closed on existing valve housings?????
    Last edited by mopar2256; 08-25-2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added info.

+1
    I'm pretty sure slotted RAVEs together with housings with a bypass hole is a no-no. For a '96 with the original engine, I'm 98% sure you should *not* have housings with a bypass hole. I believe if you have slotted valves and bypass holes, there's never going to be enough pressure to open the valves, so you'll lose the high end.

Joel ,
    so I guess J.B weld them shut and hope for the best..... Thanks, Nate

+1
    I don't think you can JB weld it. It's not the hole through the housing. That's supposed to be there. It's the gouge between the two parts of the housing. It should look like 2, not 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rave.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	281722

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information