Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Physical differences in superchargers

I am new to the pwc world but have been a professional mechanic for 25 years mostly on heavy equipment but nuts and bolts are nuts and bolts. Just bought an 185hp GTX. Been studying modifications on 185hp units and finding that they are money pits. Still I want to do a few things. Already upgraded to a riva stage 1 kit. Along with a intake grate. A new aluminum pump with ss wear ring. Also a stock intercooler from a 2005 GTX. Been reading about upgrading to the 215 flywheel and 16 tooth charger. At this point just contiplating some things. My question is what physical differences are there is the superchargers other than the gear? Thinking mine is a 17 tooth. Is it possible to build up a 185hp charger to the 215 specs. I know that my charger originally did not have the washers installed but I bought my ski from a sea doo dealer who installed the updated parts on my ski. My ski runs great. Hits the rev limiter no problem. Any input on the charger specs would be greatly appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Noahkenny View Post
    I am new to the pwc world but have been a professional mechanic for 25 years mostly on heavy equipment but nuts and bolts are nuts and bolts. Just bought an 185hp GTX. Been studying modifications on 185hp units and finding that they are money pits. Still I want to do a few things. Already upgraded to a riva stage 1 kit. Along with a intake grate. A new aluminum pump with ss wear ring. Also a stock intercooler from a 2005 GTX. Been reading about upgrading to the 215 flywheel and 16 tooth charger. At this point just contiplating some things. My question is what physical differences are there is the superchargers other than the gear? Thinking mine is a 17 tooth. Is it possible to build up a 185hp charger to the 215 specs. I know that my charger originally did not have the washers installed but I bought my ski from a sea doo dealer who installed the updated parts on my ski. My ski runs great. Hits the rev limiter no problem. Any input on the charger specs would be greatly appreciated.

Chargers are the same, other than the gear tooth number...So to get the 16 gear to work, you'd have to do the flywheel swap, new bolts, new gasket...You can do it in the hull, but it will get messy....You'd gain MAYBE 3/4-1psi at the MOST......

Upgrading to 215 spec is more than just a SC gear swap though....

+1
    Dont forget to do the 215 swap you gotta swap pistons also because yours are cast and the 215 are forged.... and more like Danny said

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Chargers are the same, other than the gear tooth number...So to get the 16 gear to work, you'd have to do the flywheel swap, new bolts, new gasket...You can do it in the hull, but it will get messy....You'd gain MAYBE 3/4-1psi at the MOST......

Upgrading to 215 spec is more than just a SC gear swap though....
    Yea I realize there is more to the 215 specs than just the charger gear. Know you gotta have a different ecu fuel,pressure regulator flywheel. All that stuff. Forged pistons would be nice but I've read of plenty of people here running cast pistons just fine if you stay around or below 9 psi and 8100 or so rpms. I was more or less wondering if the 185hp charger could be built up itself to a 215 hp or higher. I didn't know if there was any difference in the housings themselves. Mine had about 10 hours on it since rebuild so I'm really looking at what I can do in the future. I know it would be easier to sell this one and upgrade to a RXP but I plan on keeping this ski. I'm pretty satisfied with how it runs now but it could always use a little more speed. It is horrible about cavatating coming out of the hole but after disassembly of the pump I found the plastic housing to be warped and the wear ring worn out. Have already ordered a new aluminum housing, ss wear ring, all the bearings and seals for the pump and a solas 13/20r impeller. Hoping that will solve my hole shot issues. So far the single part that has the most improvement is the R&D racing sponsons. They are night and day difference over the stock sponsons.

Physical differences in superchargers

So what is your gps speed with your listed mods already?

Banned User
    +1
    Yea I realize there is more to the 215 specs than just the charger gear. Know you gotta have a different ecu fuel,pressure regulator flywheel. All that stuff. Forged pistons would be nice but I've read of plenty of people here running cast pistons just fine if you stay around or below 9 psi and 8100 or so rpms. I was more or less wondering if the 185hp charger could be built up itself to a 215 hp or higher. I didn't know if there was any difference in the housings themselves. Mine had about 10 hours on it since rebuild so I'm really looking at what I can do in the future. I know it would be easier to sell this one and upgrade to a RXP but I plan on keeping this ski. I'm pretty satisfied with how it runs now but it could always use a little more speed. It is horrible about cavatating coming out of the hole but after disassembly of the pump I found the plastic housing to be warped and the wear ring worn out. Have already ordered a new aluminum housing, ss wear ring, all the bearings and seals for the pump and a solas 13/20r impeller. Hoping that will solve my hole shot issues. So far the single part that has the most improvement is the R&D racing sponsons. They are night and day difference over the stock sponsons.

Ditch the Riva intake, put in a 4" kanaflex...

Open up the exhaust, simple gutted boc and thru hull...

Toss an external IC on there too...

You can do a DROP IN wheel, anything that will go into a stock 215, or 127mm SC...Or ANY SC, just move over the 17-tooth gear...If you do anything bigger with the external IC you will need to adjust fuel, so monitoring your AFR's will be suggested....

There is options....no such thing as TRUE 215 spec.....Hell, 215 is old news, now its 255/260 spec

Q-ball. It will run in the 64-65 mph range as is. And that's with a worn out pump. Still waiting on the parts to rebuild it. I'm a little guy. About 125 pounds so I already have a small advantage speed wise. Not really wanting to go crazy with this ski at this point. Just looking for a few ideas to ponder on.

Danny. Are there any stickies here about modding the exhaust system? Haven't seen anything as far as the gtx is concerned. All I know that there is a lot of factory crap in the ski that I wished was gone.

Banned User
    +1
    Danny. Are there any stickies here about modding the exhaust system? Haven't seen anything as far as the gtx is concerned. All I know that there is a lot of factory crap in the ski that I wished was gone.

You're not gonna find anything specifically for a GTX...because it shares the same parts as RXP/RXT's, so pretty much all the bolt on/swappable parts are the same....You on have to be concerned with what the BASE setup was, were 185hp units were separate from 215/255 units....

As for exhaust, you have multiple options. But the simplest is what you can do yourself. Modding the box (gutting it) is simple, you just need a sawzall and a drill with a hole saw, and know someone that welds aluminum...Pop off the end near the outlest, trim off the outlet tube inside, pop a 4-5" hole in the baffle wall, then weld it back up....Reduces backpressure alot, and a throaty deep sound...(info found here http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97790 )...Then you can either get the Riva exhaust system complete with tube and outlet, or just get the outlet and make your own tubing...

Here is a 5" hole in the exhaust...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterbox_5inch.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	280712

Thanks Danny. Got a TIG setup here at home. Something I can handle myself

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information