Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Please help!!! 2006 GTX Wake 155 won't stay running

    I am new here and need some help please. I thank anyonein advance!

    I have a 2006 Gtx Wake 155.

    Problem started last month with running for about 30 minutes and then shuttingdown to be towed in. After time, fire up again and same thing. I did catch a 12volt dispaly on one of these shut downs.

    I replaced the rectifier and it changed problem while on trailer to run for 10seconds and then slowoly choke off. Have been in this cycle since.

    I replaced fuel pump relay assembly because it was really corroded and was notprefiltering obviously. It did not fix the problem. Same run for 10 secondsshut down.

    I was worried about a clogged fuel system, so I installed a pressure guage(Steady 55psi), took apart the rail and cleaned all injectors, they seem to bespraying nice pattern, and like I said fuel pressure is steady while ski chugsto a stop, I am working on trailer.

    I bought the candoopro ecu reader, and pulled a bunch of faults the first time.Only active fault was lake temperature sensor and it was plus 100* sitting onasphalt so I see why that was tripped. Does lake temperature sensor triggeredshut ski down or just send warning?


    I cleared the faults, to start fresh and now afterstarting and running for 10 seconds, like usual, I did notice a 12 volt lowagain. I did this cycle about 5 more times on the trailer. The thing I am noticing is the fuel guage barsright before it quits disappear completely and come back on right as it isdying? It will start right up back upand run through same cycle again? Fuelsystem is good, it is looking like something electrical, but ecu is leaving nofault to detect?

    Any ideas? I haveswitched keys also to try different magnet.


  2. #2
    Hey Corey, welcome to GH!

    Since you have ruled out fuel delivery with pressure at the rail, it now sounds like you have an electrical issue. The 2006 is a one year electrical design, with ECU, MPEM, and CAN-based cluster (info gauge) The way this system works, the DESS post switch turns on the MPEM, which then acts as a power-director that feeds everything else, including the ECU.

    What intrigues me is the LOW 12V warning and the disappearing fuel bars. On this model year, the MPEM senses the fuel level, then sends a CAN message to the cluster. The MPEM seems to be partially shutting down, and probably is killing power to the ECU, which in effect is turning off spark. The first place to look would be the DESS switch, making sure the DESS post is not shutting it down.

    Unfortunately, there are many things that could be the problem once the DESS post is ruled out. A bad MPEM, bad ground to the MPEM, bad connections somewhere, etc.

    After testing the DESS post for proper operation, I would monitor the MPEM power to see what is happening. You can easily monitor the voltage at the fuses. The best thing to do would be to stick a probe into one of the non-critical or non-used fuse slots and monitor the voltage to ground. An example would be the #2 fuse, which most skis don't use as it powers the depth finder on the high-end GTX model. It is the 2 amp fuse, as you are facing the MPEM, it is on the upper left fuse block, 2nd one down from top. Pull this fuse if there is one, and put your probe on one side, put the key on and watch for voltage. If you don't see voltage, probe the other side of the slot.

    Once you have the probe on the right slot and see the voltage, start the ski. If you lose voltage when the ski dies, you have found the problem. (doesn't yet speak to why it is failing, we will get to that later)

    Do this test and report back.

  3. #3
    Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the ideas on beginning to diagnose the ski.

    I will do some checking on the DESS post. I am pretty sure from the schematics show that it is a 3 wire post. I will do some reading on troubleshooting this switch. I believe that it is a magnetic switch that is pulled closed by key magnet? I will study schematic to see where voltage comes back to board to monitor for voltage from the Dess post.

    I will then check other voltages like described! Thank you again!

    Corey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Hey Corey, welcome to GH!

    Since you have ruled out fuel delivery with pressure at the rail, it now sounds like you have an electrical issue. The 2006 is a one year electrical design, with ECU, MPEM, and CAN-based cluster (info gauge) The way this system works, the DESS post switch turns on the MPEM, which then acts as a power-director that feeds everything else, including the ECU.

    What intrigues me is the LOW 12V warning and the disappearing fuel bars. On this model year, the MPEM senses the fuel level, then sends a CAN message to the cluster. The MPEM seems to be partially shutting down, and probably is killing power to the ECU, which in effect is turning off spark. The first place to look would be the DESS switch, making sure the DESS post is not shutting it down.

    Unfortunately, there are many things that could be the problem once the DESS post is ruled out. A bad MPEM, bad ground to the MPEM, bad connections somewhere, etc.

    After testing the DESS post for proper operation, I would monitor the MPEM power to see what is happening. You can easily monitor the voltage at the fuses. The best thing to do would be to stick a probe into one of the non-critical or non-used fuse slots and monitor the voltage to ground. An example would be the #2 fuse, which most skis don't use as it powers the depth finder on the high-end GTX model. It is the 2 amp fuse, as you are facing the MPEM, it is on the upper left fuse block, 2nd one down from top. Pull this fuse if there is one, and put your probe on one side, put the key on and watch for voltage. If you don't see voltage, probe the other side of the slot.

    Once you have the probe on the right slot and see the voltage, start the ski. If you lose voltage when the ski dies, you have found the problem. (doesn't yet speak to why it is failing, we will get to that later)

    Do this test and report back.

  4. #4
    Been about a year, but I am hoping Sea Dood is still on here.

    Thanks for the help! I have been ill and I am just getting back to this 2006 GTX Wake problem of not staying running.

    Same as last year will run anywhere from 5-20 seconds then chokes off and limps to stop.

    I have monitored voltage at the MPEM, across 2 amp fuse described and voltage is solid 13.0 as soon as DESS is connected and voltage holds solid all the way through the dying process. Get the initial two quick beeps as I hook up DESS also. Steady voltage at MPEM says good DESS connection right?

    I have two observations as I revisit this issue;

    1) The fuel gauge is showing full, when first connecting DESS and tank is not full. About a couple of seconds before it shuts down the fuel gauge bars disappear completely as if to short out or go away and then ski shut down. I am feeding water in back tube during garage firing also, just an fyi.

    2) Last year, I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge and during initial connection of DESS the pump brings fuel pressure up to 58 psi. and then after running maintains 55 psi. I read in service manual that pressure on non-supercharged should be 44 psi and supercharged should be 58 psi. I have 155 hp wake gtx and think fuel pressure should be at 44 psi. The manual says to replace fuel pump module if over 44 psi for my model. Is there a high limit monitor for fuel pressure that could be shutting me down?

    Thank you for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

    Corey Brockway


    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb66 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the ideas on beginning to diagnose the ski.

    I will do some checking on the DESS post. I am pretty sure from the schematics show that it is a 3 wire post. I will do some reading on troubleshooting this switch. I believe that it is a magnetic switch that is pulled closed by key magnet? I will study schematic to see where voltage comes back to board to monitor for voltage from the Dess post.

    I will then check other voltages like described! Thank you again!

    Corey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Hey Corey, welcome to GH!

    Since you have ruled out fuel delivery with pressure at the rail, it now sounds like you have an electrical issue. The 2006 is a one year electrical design, with ECU, MPEM, and CAN-based cluster (info gauge) The way this system works, the DESS post switch turns on the MPEM, which then acts as a power-director that feeds everything else, including the ECU.

    What intrigues me is the LOW 12V warning and the disappearing fuel bars. On this model year, the MPEM senses the fuel level, then sends a CAN message to the cluster. The MPEM seems to be partially shutting down, and probably is killing power to the ECU, which in effect is turning off spark. The first place to look would be the DESS switch, making sure the DESS post is not shutting it down.

    Unfortunately, there are many things that could be the problem once the DESS post is ruled out. A bad MPEM, bad ground to the MPEM, bad connections somewhere, etc.

    After testing the DESS post for proper operation, I would monitor the MPEM power to see what is happening. You can easily monitor the voltage at the fuses. The best thing to do would be to stick a probe into one of the non-critical or non-used fuse slots and monitor the voltage to ground. An example would be the #2 fuse, which most skis don't use as it powers the depth finder on the high-end GTX model. It is the 2 amp fuse, as you are facing the MPEM, it is on the upper left fuse block, 2nd one down from top. Pull this fuse if there is one, and put your probe on one side, put the key on and watch for voltage. If you don't see voltage, probe the other side of the slot.

    Once you have the probe on the right slot and see the voltage, start the ski. If you lose voltage when the ski dies, you have found the problem. (doesn't yet speak to why it is failing, we will get to that later)

    Do this test and report back.

  5. #5
    Another quick note, I see the display is trying to display a feet measurement and would assume this is a water depth reading?

    I have a speedo wheel on transom, but does the '06 GTX Wake edition have a depth meter? Could the ECM be waiting for a water depth and not getting signal shutting down if the depth finder feature has been turned on the CAN and/or BUDS?

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb66 View Post
    Been about a year, but I am hoping Sea Dood is still on here.

    Thanks for the help! I have been ill and I am just getting back to this 2006 GTX Wake problem of not staying running.

    Same as last year will run anywhere from 5-20 seconds then chokes off and limps to stop.

    I have monitored voltage at the MPEM, across 2 amp fuse described and voltage is solid 13.0 as soon as DESS is connected and voltage holds solid all the way through the dying process. Get the initial two quick beeps as I hook up DESS also. Steady voltage at MPEM says good DESS connection right?

    I have two observations as I revisit this issue;

    1) The fuel gauge is showing full, when first connecting DESS and tank is not full. About a couple of seconds before it shuts down the fuel gauge bars disappear completely as if to short out or go away and then ski shut down. I am feeding water in back tube during garage firing also, just an fyi.

    2) Last year, I installed an inline fuel pressure gauge and during initial connection of DESS the pump brings fuel pressure up to 58 psi. and then after running maintains 55 psi. I read in service manual that pressure on non-supercharged should be 44 psi and supercharged should be 58 psi. I have 155 hp wake gtx and think fuel pressure should be at 44 psi. The manual says to replace fuel pump module if over 44 psi for my model. Is there a high limit monitor for fuel pressure that could be shutting me down?

    Thank you for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

    Corey Brockway


    Quote Originally Posted by coreyb66 View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the ideas on beginning to diagnose the ski.

    I will do some checking on the DESS post. I am pretty sure from the schematics show that it is a 3 wire post. I will do some reading on troubleshooting this switch. I believe that it is a magnetic switch that is pulled closed by key magnet? I will study schematic to see where voltage comes back to board to monitor for voltage from the Dess post.

    I will then check other voltages like described! Thank you again!

    Corey

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Hey Corey, welcome to GH!

    Since you have ruled out fuel delivery with pressure at the rail, it now sounds like you have an electrical issue. The 2006 is a one year electrical design, with ECU, MPEM, and CAN-based cluster (info gauge) The way this system works, the DESS post switch turns on the MPEM, which then acts as a power-director that feeds everything else, including the ECU.

    What intrigues me is the LOW 12V warning and the disappearing fuel bars. On this model year, the MPEM senses the fuel level, then sends a CAN message to the cluster. The MPEM seems to be partially shutting down, and probably is killing power to the ECU, which in effect is turning off spark. The first place to look would be the DESS switch, making sure the DESS post is not shutting it down.

    Unfortunately, there are many things that could be the problem once the DESS post is ruled out. A bad MPEM, bad ground to the MPEM, bad connections somewhere, etc.

    After testing the DESS post for proper operation, I would monitor the MPEM power to see what is happening. You can easily monitor the voltage at the fuses. The best thing to do would be to stick a probe into one of the non-critical or non-used fuse slots and monitor the voltage to ground. An example would be the #2 fuse, which most skis don't use as it powers the depth finder on the high-end GTX model. It is the 2 amp fuse, as you are facing the MPEM, it is on the upper left fuse block, 2nd one down from top. Pull this fuse if there is one, and put your probe on one side, put the key on and watch for voltage. If you don't see voltage, probe the other side of the slot.

    Once you have the probe on the right slot and see the voltage, start the ski. If you lose voltage when the ski dies, you have found the problem. (doesn't yet speak to why it is failing, we will get to that later)

    Do this test and report back.

  6. #6

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2006 GTX Wake at shop for 6 months and no fix, please help!
    By coreyb66 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2017, 10:51 AM
  2. Please help seadoo gtx issue
    By Bosch Man in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 09:06 AM
  3. Please help 99' polaris 700 slh won't start!!!
    By bullxi21 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 01:35 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM
  5. FS 2007 GTX Wake 155 W/Ballast System and Double Trailer
    By Throttlemire in forum Sea Doo 4Tec Skis
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •