+1

did my good deed of the day...

I was out today going back into a cove and went by a pontoon boat. When I turned around and came back out I looked over at the boat and saw them waving at me so I headed over to see what was up. As I pulled up to the boat I saw they put their outboard motor up and saw a big mangled crab trap where the prop is- They weren't going anywhere.

The people on the boat had a place across the cove (about 100yds) and wanted me to take one of them back across so they could get wire cutters from their house. So one of the guys jumped in the water and tried to get on but did so from the port/stern corner of the ski which flooded the foot tray and caused the ski to lean over and throw me off with him. It was shallow but the muck at the bottom was like quick sand I couldn't stand up I just sunk down in it. Anyway we got on and I took him over to a dock and dropped him off. The px didn't like 2 people on with eco mode, I switched it to eco so I wouldn't throw him off from the rapid acceleration that this thing has . He said he'd swim back to the boat even though I offered him a ride back. Thought that was strange but he insisted I didn't need to stick around.

I wasn't the only boater in the area, there were about 2 other boats going past and 2-4 other skis. Not sure if they didn't see them or just ignored them, but whenever I'm out I always look at every boat/jet ski/etc. in my proximity just in case they need help. I've gone to shore to get jumper cables for boats before and even towed a small boat in the past.

Something always happens when I'm down here at the beach. A few years ago I witnessed a bad jet ski accident between a father and daughter that were renting them and I called 911 since I was the only person familiar with the area to tell where the paramedics where to go.

It's nice being that guy that helps out other boaters. I'm sure we've all been there when we needed a tow or something and wave at boats only to watch them keep going by until some nice person comes over.

+1
    Nice job! As you do, I always keep my eye out for others around me that may need help. I always take a few glances at another boat I'm passing to make sure they are not waving or in need of help

+1
    every time i go around to jetski, i always look out for others.

one time a guy and girl decided to race me and my friend, the guy's hat fell off, leaned in to grab it, boom both fall off.

my buddy went to save the couple, the girl didnt have a lifejacket on, and the guy had his jacket on but unbuttoned/zipped.

(yes yes, stupid of them). While i personally went after the jetski because he didnt attach the lanyard to him... (took me a while to catch up, and pull the key out).

also i make sure that when there is alot of traffic, and people are towing kids with tubes, i stop by and make sure they are OK.

+1
    Great read... Guys you like you never have break downs because you do stuff like that... Hope your year goes well...

Ripper

Way to "pass it on" or "pay it forward"

+1
    Nice work man... way to show the boaters that we are not all a**holes!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Nice work man... way to show the boaters that we are not all a**holes!

exactly haha

+1
    Spent Saturday at the lake with the family and friends of ours with their kids, in the afternoon the wind started to come up a little so since we were on the beach next to the sailing club some of the sail boats started to come out. An older gentleman brought his 12ft catamaran style sailboat down to the beach and spent about 45mins getting the mast and the sails ready while he was doing this his sailboat was half on the beach half in the water and not tied up. While he's getting ready he keeps wandering off for a few minutes at a time getting more stuff, when it looks like he's got everything set and almost ready to go he wanders off again. I didn't think much of it at the time but he left both sails up, next thing you know the wind picks up a bit more and the sailboat takes off through a swim area and across the lake with no body on it. I jumped on the Doo and went to recover his sailboat for him problem was with the sails up I could not control it at all and with no sailing experience I don't know how to lower the sails so I had to let it keep going. On the way back to the beach I see the guy running down the dock so I pull up tell him to jump on and gave him a ride out to his sailboat which was now happily booking it across the lake headed for the far shore.

Luckily the swim area was empty because of the waves the wind had whipped up, that sailboat could have seriously hurt someone if they didn't see it coming.

+1
    wow! that's crazy. I'm sure that was a sight to see

Thread Information