SLX 1200 primer through oil injection?

I hope this isn't a stupid question but instead of removing and piping the primer lines through the choke, couldn't you simply run the primer output lines through the oil injection ports? I converted my ski to pre-mix a while back so the existing ports are simply capped off and unused. I recently put a primer on my Kawi and it starts so easy that I wanted to add one to my Polaris but it appears to be a cumbersome job.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    On some models the oil injection ports have an internal check valve. As long as your primer can force the fuel through the oil fitting it should work.

Some guys only prime one or maybe two cylinders. The idea is that as soon as one cylinder fires up the RPM quickly gets the fuel pump up to pressure and the other cylinders come alive just from the carburetors.

Tip: Connect the primer tee fitting into the fuel return hose, not the fuel supply hose. Make the fuel return hose from the carburetors loop down fairly low in the hull and connect the tee at the bottom of the loop. Secure the fuel hoses to prevent flopping around while riding.

After the engine has run there will be fuel sitting in the return line, ready for the primer to pump. This avoids adding any extra fittings or possible air leaks into the fuel supply hoses, which can remain in stock configuration.

All that said, a well sealed fuel system (zero air leaks) and nicely tuned carburetors can start a stone cold engine reasonably quickly. How many times a day are you starting it from cold, or needing to choke/prime it?

Banned User
    +1
    Instead of using a primer, you can just pump the throttle a few times. The accel pump will squirt fuel down the carb throats.

I'll try that BryanP - since that method would be the lowest-cost and easiest option. K447 - thanks for the detailed reply - you confirmed what I had hoped. I have read about the return line hookup method. I typically start mine cold twice (once briefly at the house to make sure I don't waste my time driving to the beaches or lake and a second time while in the water). I'm relatively new to the whole jet ski & waverunner world but I'm very familiar with rebuilding 2-stroke dirt bikes and carbs. The 2-stroke dirt bikes are carbureted differently (gravity fed and not closed loop) and they react differently as far as cold starting is concerned. My only complaint/issue with my Polaris 1200 is cold starting - if you get it started within the first two or three quick tries then you are set for the day but if you don't then the battery dies down and you are done for the day unless you can recharge the batt. I'm not sure if a primer kit is the best option since it appears that you can also flood these carbs quite easily on mistake. As far as my ski is concerned - all three carbs have been rebuilt and I just installed new cylinders, top end, a new battery and spark plugs. Like I said, once warm, this ski runs great and hauls some A but I'm still struggling with my cold start woes. I guess its like my bikes, once you figure out the correct starting method and start it the same way every time, then your issues go away. BryanP - just ordered a GPS watch so hopefully I can add my top speed in my signature as well. : )

By the way, I say that the battery dies down but the ski continues to turn over just fine - just won't start and if you keep trying you can hear the motor slow. I may actually be flooding the motor because when I pull the plugs afterwards they are soaked. When I rebuilt the carbs I did install new needles/seats.

Banned User
    +1
    A good strong battery is a requirement with these 3 cylinder engines. Odyssey PC625 is my choice. If the battery isn't delivering 10.6 volts while cranking you will get no spark.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    A good strong battery is a requirement with these 3 cylinder engines. Odyssey PC625 is my choice. If the battery isn't delivering 10.6 volts while cranking you will get no spark.
    +1 on the strong battery.

It sounds like the osbornerw battery is barely capable. A good battery can crank these engines for quite a long time and still have enough voltage while cranking to fire the ignition. My own preference is the Deka brand ETX16LM battery but the Odessey is also excellent.

Thread Information