Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

1996 wave venture been sitting for 5 years

So my friend has a 96 wave venture that's been sitting in his garage for 5 years. It hasn't been touched since 07 and I think were going to take it out and try to start it up tomorrow. I had a look at it yesterday and I noticed that the gas tank was full. I also noticed the steering and reverse were stuck. I figure the spark plugs will have to be changed and the fuel will need to be drained. I think we should also spray some oil in the cylinders. I figure that's a good place to start but is there anything else we should look into doing.

Any help will be appreciated.

+1
    You covered the basics...draining gas, spark plugs, fogging the cylinders lightly.

A fresh fully charged battery is the only way to go.

"5 years with a tank full of gas". Replace all the fuel filters. I would not only drain all the gas out of it but I would also want to take the fuel outlet out of the tank so you can clean the in-tank filters. Otherwise, it will starve for gas at the source no matter what other gas filters are replaced. After sitting that long, it is likely to have the usual "syrup/crud" in the bottom of the tank. The best and quickest way to deal with that (after draining tank) is to dump about half a gallon of acetone or lacquer thinner down into the tank and slosh it around and let it sit for a while to dissolve all the crud. Then pump that out. Then look down into the fuel pickup opening to make sure you got it all.
    The carbs also have little filters in them that will need cleaning cuz' they will be gummed up too. I would open the carbs and clean them out along with the rest of the carb. You can check all the diaphragms at that point too.

If it still has oil injection lines, replace them , it's critical. You're there anyway and it's easy right now with everything out of your way. Most likely they have never been replaced and this ski is 15 years old, the oil lines are brittle and ready to break at this point. I'm amazed they haven't already broken/split/leaked or came off.

Do all of this before trying to start it so the crud won't get sucked in even further and there won't be a lean condition right from the get-go.

The wisdom of doing all this before starting it is that you won't have to deal with a bunch of frustrating, irritating problems brought on by fuel starvation..not to mention the holes in the center of one or more pistons from running lean. It only takes about 10 minutes of running to seriously damage an engine from running with a lean condition.

So it may seem like a lot of work, but in actuality it is the work you will eventually have to do anyway. To me, the only question is do you want to do it before you encounter all the frustrating problems and possible blown pistons...or after.

Just my 2 cents...who knows, you might can just do the minimum and never have a problem. Either way, good luck with everything, get it running and go have some fun with it.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Run extra oil in the beginning to get everything lubed up nice. If its still oil injected, run the oil injection and premix the first tank around 50:1.

+1
    thank,
    i let you know how it works out.

+1
    Well im the friend who owns the jetski and we took it out of the garage and ran it today. It runs but began leaking an oil and/or gas mix near the impeller. We are not sure what that is. Also, the steering and forward reverse seems to be "frozen" (stuck) and we need help with that as well. Any tips are appreciated!

+1
    The steering and the forward/reverse cables are probably seized. You can remove them from the ski and try to free them up by spraying some PB Blaster down inside the cable and letting them sit around while that soaks through. Or you can just replace the cables with new ones or used ones.

8. +1 by:

+1
    we worked on the steering a little more today and i think we are going to need new cables. the reverse one is rusted and the steering is starting to move a little bit. the reverse isnt really a big deal because its stuck in foward, it would be nice to have but my gpr doesnt have it and it doesnt bother me much. Anyone know how much the cables are? i just replaced my gpr throttle and it was $75, i assume the steering will cost more but i not sure with the reverse.

as for the oil leak, i have no clue where it could be coming from. its spitting oil (and water) out the intake grate and the tunnel. i dont know how oil could be getting there but could it be a gasket that needs to be replaced. if that is the problem is there any kind of adhesive (silicone?) i could put in place of the gasket.

We also decided to drop it in the water and see how it was running under a load before we put any more money into it. this was quite hard because the steering was stuck all the way to the left. we just had it nosed up against the dock but we could tell it wasn't making full power. do you think this could be bad gas (5 years old)?

any help will be appriciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120819141210-1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	280816
    By the way heres the ski

+1
    5 year old gas is definitely bad.

+1
    i knew the gas was bad, i could smell it while it was running. i ws wondering if the bad gas could be the reason it was not making full power?

+1
    yes. Its called bad gas for a reason

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information