Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To supercharge or not supercharge- that is the question.

I had my mind made up. I have no real need for a supercharged ski. If I have to worry about extra maintainence, greater chance of failure, and higher price, I can gladly pass. Therefore, I need a 2012 FX HO.
    Then I start waiting for dealers to start getting more negotiable as the season here comes to a close, and what I find is that the anount that can be negotiated off depends of course on how many of a certain model the dealer has in stock, and how secure they are that they will sell and not be left over. This only makes sense. However, it seems that the 2012 FX HO is in shorter supply in relation to a 2012 FX SHO, and therefore many dealers are discouning harder on the SHO. Sometimes making it only about $400 more then an FX HO.
    So, for $400, the supercharger becomes intriguing, and my questions are:

1 Could someone try and express the type and magnitude of the performance differential between the 2012 FX SHO and the HO?

2 Would a 2012 have the latest parts in the SC, and what might the likelyhood of failure be? I will not be raising the boost, and probably will not be modding at all.

3 Any info concerning the expected ownership experience of these two skis is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

+1
    I'd opt for the SHO given the price difference you describe - based on resale and bang-for-the-buck.

However: If it were me, I'd wait a couple of months and see how the SHO SC reliability issue out. We're all hoping the newest SC "#3" version works out, but it's too new new to know.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    I'd opt for the SHO given the price difference you describe - based on resale and bang-for-the-buck.

However: If it were me, I'd wait a couple of months and see how the SHO SC reliability issue out. We're all hoping the newest SC "#3" version works out, but it's too new new to know.
    The gen3 sc I believe is only on the 2013 models not on the 2012.
    The reason I believe this I just had my clutch changed this week at 63 hours at Riva and they told me that the gen 3 clutch has only been out for a week or 2.

But I would still go for an Sho, even if something happens mine was fixed in 1 day and the bill was 0$

+1
    Go supercharged, get a 5 year warranty, relax, enjoy! "No worries mon".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    +1

+1

To supercharge or not supercharge- that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    I had my mind made up. I have no real need for a supercharged ski
    No real need for a lot of things in life we all have... I just bought my ski and was kinda in the same mind set as you. I was talking to my wife and she says "sure you will be happy with the slower one until you run into a supercharged one at the lake" and she was right, the next day we bought the supercharged ski. It's minimal cost up front and could save you 4-5 grand in the long run

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VXRBlue View Post
    This pretty much sums it up.
    I have watched this forum for several years and I can tell you there are very few reports of failures on stock Yamahas. Notice I didn't say there were none, I said very few. People get confused because they often read threads and they don't understand many of these riders are modding and pushing their skis into the 80 mph range or way past the manufacturer's intended design. So Unless you live on an island in the middle of the ocean without access to a dealer, I say get the big supercharged ski with the 5 year warranty and have fun -- because your wife is correct; the first time you get blown off the water on that HO you're going to regret it!

Then there is the FZ line if you are looking for a little smaller and lighter supercharged ski (about 7 inches smaller and 42 lbs lighter than the FX SHO) also with a bow trim system. The other option is the VXR/S models which provide great fuel economy and speed without a supercharger, if you don't mind the lack of a trim system and the ride quality in the chop. The best thing to do is set up a demo ride with a dealer and try them out on the water in a variety of conditions (smooth and rough water). The nice thing about Yamaha is they make several models and it's nice to have choices!

Thanks for all the replies. I have now found an SHO for only $300 more. It's tempting. I must admit however, while it might be an unpopular view around here, that I will not be getting an extended warranty. I never buy them, and this time will be no different. If the reality is that if it's really unwise to own the SC without a warranty, then there is my answer, and it's not for me.
    But what about the nature of the performance difference? I'm not too concerned about top speed, but holeshot and how it pulls interests me.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I have now found an SHO for only $300 more. It's tempting. I must admit however, while it might be an unpopular view around here, that I will not be getting an extended warranty. I never buy them, and this time will be no different. If the reality is that if it's really unwise to own the SC without a warranty, then there is my answer, and it's not for me.
    But what about the nature of the performance difference? I'm not too concerned about top speed, but holeshot and how it pulls interests me.
    it wont take long and you will get the speed bug, at least you have a year to buy the YES warranty should you have a clutch failure and decide to do it

+1
    I got the extended warranty on one of mine, but not the other. I have not needed to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information