2008 GTI SE 155 is having issues getting her to plane out and top speed is only 45mph

Hey guys...maybe someone can help me out.

I think last season someone sucked a rock into my pump which dinged the impeller up a bit and knocked some chunks, maybe like quarter sized, out of my stator vanes (like 4 of them).

I pulled everything today and installed a new Solas impeller. I repaired the vanes with JB water weld also.

I took her out today and she just doesn't push hard, like you can hear what sounds like then engine will rev as you try to plane out which I assume is cavitation. After you get up on plane she will only hit like 45mph. The engine seems fine. I am considering just buying a new housing with an impeller installed and trying that but before I do that I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas of what I could check. I am gonna go pull her apart tomorrow probably and check the intake grate again. I had someone install a wear ring last summer and I heard someone mention that you should put loctite on the outside when you install them so they don't slip. Is that a possible problem that could cause this? What else am I missing? Do you need a new seal ring each time you pull the pump housing?

Maybe not much help but mine gti did that when I needed a new wear ring. I had it replaced I think last year and now it sounds like its starting to cavitate again. On hard accel it sounds like its doing a lot but not getting up and going.

+1
    +1. check the ring around the prop and see if it is gouged or wore out. that is what they call the wear ring. it should have a very very tight clearence. it should be a tight enough fit as to where you shouldnt hardly see light through it if you held a flashlight behind the prop. ( i guess thats a good example??)

Quote Originally Posted by Biggsw784 View Post
    +1. check the ring around the prop and see if it is gouged or wore out. that is what they call the wear ring. it should have a very very tight clearence. it should be a tight enough fit as to where you shouldnt hardly see light through it if you held a flashlight behind the prop. ( i guess thats a good example??)
    I just had it replaced last season, I only have 47 hours and only a few on the new wear ring. I checked it this morning when I installed the impeller and it's pristine.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    what prop did you put in? and is the plastic pump shoe (ramp leading into the jetunit in the tunnel) in good condition as any cracks or holes in that and you wont get going. also is the rubber seal around the front of the jetunit/wear ring in place?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    what prop did you put in? and is the plastic pump shoe (ramp leading into the jetunit in the tunnel) in good condition as any cracks or holes in that and you wont get going. also is the rubber seal around the front of the jetunit/wear ring in place?
    Solas Concorde 11/19. I'll check the pump shoe today. I have her out of the garage where it's easier to see so i can inspect everything. I'll check the seal ring also.

Thread Information