'89 WR500 Waverunner wearin' me out!

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on here. I am hoping someone here can help. I have been through every possible scenario with this ski, and have been through some of them twice. Ski runs at about half throttle in wot position. Almost acts as if it has a rev limiter, as it pulses at high end. Ski cranks easily, throttle response is good, idle is good. I have been thru carb twice, double checking myself each time. Checked stator, and had someone check behind me, all good there. I have pressure tested the crankcase, checked reed valves, checked exhaust for obstructions and leaks, replaced regulator, coil, plugs. Checked and then replaced thermo switch, checked jet pump for obstructions, and bad bearings. Ran across a used eclectronics box on Ebay, used coil and regulator to replace parts, had CDI box, but wiring is different, and I am not sure about fitment. Connector on the white/red wire on CDI has connector reversed, and Part# is 6K8-11, my box part# is 6K8-10. I have read here that they don't interchange. My concern for finding an answer to this problem is twofold- I have about 50 hrs. of time in this problem, and I committed the cardinal sin with this machine- I sold it to a friend! It ran two weeks, and just suddenly started this. I have been a mechanic all my life and have an interest in anything that runs, but this thing is about to get my Goat!!! I have five other skis, but all Seadoos. You guys have a lot more experience with these machines than I do, so I am throwing this out for you. Thanks in advance for any advice, guys.

+1
    Have you checked the compression with a guage,have you tried running it at wot for a little while,then killed it and pulled the plugs to see if its a lean or rich issue.also does it hold pressure in the tank,when sitting and when running

+1
    Have you cut the plug wires back and ohmed out the plug boots? Have you ohmed out your ground wires?

Quote Originally Posted by outtatime-xx View Post
    Ran across a used electronics box on Ebay, used coil and regulator to replace parts, had CDI box, but wiring is different, and I am not sure about fitment. Connector on the white/red wire on CDI has connector reversed, and Part# is 6K8-11, my box part# is 6K8-10. I have read here that they don't interchange. My concern for finding an answer to this problem is twofold
    I have ran into the same issue!!!

I bought a 1988 WR500 and bought another 1988 WR500 for parts. The skis look identical, however one of the skis, the CDI unit has the red/white wire connector "reversed" as you said. Why is this??? The parts ski is the one that has this, so I haven't tried to get it running yet. I didn't want to pay $200 for a used CDI and cut the wire to fix the connector only to find out it wouldn't work. The parts ski has good compression on engine, so it should be a runner (once the starter is fixed now). What do I need to do??

Cdi

They will interchange, just need to make a jumper for the male to male issue...

Quote Originally Posted by vintageboater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by outtatime-xx View Post
    Ran across a used electronics box on Ebay, used coil and regulator to replace parts, had CDI box, but wiring is different, and I am not sure about fitment. Connector on the white/red wire on CDI has connector reversed, and Part# is 6K8-11, my box part# is 6K8-10. I have read here that they don't interchange. My concern for finding an answer to this problem is twofold
    I have ran into the same issue!!!

I bought a 1988 WR500 and bought another 1988 WR500 for parts. The skis look identical, however one of the skis, the CDI unit has the red/white wire connector "reversed" as you said. Why is this??? The parts ski is the one that has this, so I haven't tried to get it running yet. I didn't want to pay $200 for a used CDI and cut the wire to fix the connector only to find out it wouldn't work. The parts ski has good compression on engine, so it should be a runner (once the starter is fixed now). What do I need to do??

Thread Information