Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Found out oil line came off. 60 psi in one cylinder 150 in other..help!!!

Hey guys and gals...First question is will having low compression cause a low spark condition?

If not, then there is more than one issue....but first...

I lent my ski to friends and found out that the oil line on one cylinder came off.....now 60 psi on that cylinder...

Can I if piston looks good, just replace the rings and thats it or do i need to redo the piston and cylinder sleeve.

ANy help is appreicated.

Don

Pull the head and cylinder off and inspect piston. You have to to take a look at it to see extent of damage.

Banned User
    +1
    If jug is good just replace piston rings washers and wrist pin

Same thing happened to mine...

I found that the other spare motor that I had (bought a used ski for $100 with motor and drive) is good and has 150 psi compression in each cylinder. SHould I run premix to avoid this issue ever again or just rely on the oil pump and put really good clamps on the lines. ???

ANy help is appreciated since I dont know crap (hence the name) and new to this.

Thanks

Don

Banned User
    +1
    I think it's crazy not to run premix

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowcrap View Post
    I found that the other spare motor that I had (bought a used ski for $100 with motor and drive) is good and has 150 psi compression in each cylinder. SHould I run premix to avoid this issue ever again or just rely on the oil pump and put really good clamps on the lines. ???

ANy help is appreciated since I dont know crap (hence the name) and new to this.

Thanks

Don
    What kinda of ski do you own?
    Both premix and oil injection have there pros and cons. If you have a GPR or a PV 1200, the location of the carbs and oil lines makes it harder to frequently inspect the lines, so premix makes more sense. On other skis the oil lines are all out in the open making regular inspection easy. And the metal crimp clamps do make oil injection more reliable, but the ultimate in reliability is premix.

+1
    It was suggested to me if you don't want to give up the oil injection you could do both. Run injected and put a small amount of oil in the gas too. Any truth to this and if so, what would the pre-mix look like?

The 2 stroke oil in the pump injector lubricates the pump also. I would go one way or another as if you lose an oil line to a cylinder a little premix in the oil probably isn't going to save your cylinder anyways. I would go premix.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkyamaha View Post
    It was suggested to me if you don't want to give up the oil injection you could do both. Run injected and put a small amount of oil in the gas too. Any truth to this and if so, what would the pre-mix look like?
    I do that. I run oil injection and a small amount of premix. I run approx 150:1...but sometimes I just pour a little oil in the gas tank and don't really measure it. I don't recommend that but...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information