yamaha vx110 no speed.

Need help. Just bought 2006 vx110 sport.(no remote and no learning mode) It's a 2006 model with 800 hr.(previous rental). It was a trade in with the local marine store.They checked it out and said everything looks good.They checked compression and said it's 150 psi on all cylinders. Anyways I took it to the lake and it won't go over 30mph and is slow to get there. RPM only goes to 6000 tops. I got home, changed all spark plugs, removed air filter (didn't look bad but just in case),i have removed fuel injectors -they are all spraying. I checked resistance on the spar plug coils they are within specks.Clearance on the impeller and wear ring is .016" so it's still good. I've checked oil level when hot, it's at the top mark but air filter compartment is dry so it should be ok.I also rechecked compression and i got 140 on 3 cyl. and close to 150 on 4-th.so still should be ok. I took it to the lake again and no difference. I called local marine store and they are not sure why it wouldn't go.They said they would check all I did. I called Yamaha service,they told me to bring it in to troubleshoot, but they are 150 km away so I was hoping to figure it out before I do that trip. I've seen quite a few post with similar problem but no solutions (with the exception of a couple that replaced a spark plug) would anybody know if rental companies would adjust skis in any way to limit speed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

+1
    Did you gps the speed or go off the dream meter?
    Dream meter is wrong 100% of the time...
    Gps is never wrong..
    Sounds like they have limited the speed when it was a rental.

I did not gps the speed , but it just don't feel right.You can feel there is no speed.(plus rpm only at 6000)

+1
    Did you test ride it before buying it?
    In my experience you cannot always tell if the air filter is clogged by looking at it. If you haven't already, try running it across the lake without the air filter as a test and see if that helps; also make sure you have fresh fuel in the tank. Get a baseline speed with a GPS before then after, that way you'll know where you really are. If all else fails, take it back where you bought it and tell them to make good on your purchase.

Yamaha lists the minimum spec of 164 psi for the compression on the MR1 engine. 140-150 is way low. Most engines in good shape will have compression numbers over 200 psi on that engine. You simply have a worn out rental machine. Its probably been used and abused. You need to rebuild the top end.

+1
    I would simply take it back and ask for your money back.

Like YoYamma said, check the air filter. Even if it is only dirty on the bottom where oil accumulates can cause a sluggish ski.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyT View Post
    Like YoYamma said, check the air filter. Even if it is only dirty on the bottom where oil accumulates can cause a sluggish ski.
    That's exactly what it was.I took the filter out before and there was not oil in the compartment. I took it to yamaha dealer since I couldn't figure it out, they said there was oil in the intake manifold (the tube) they cleaned it up and lowered the oil level since it was too high. I took it to the lake and it runs great.We put three ours on it that day without any issues. I hit 89(km/h) by myself and 84 with two passengers.Pulls tube without problems. Not bad for used and abused machine . If i can get couple of seasons out of it I'll be happy for what I paid for it.
    Thanks for any help.It's very appreciatrd.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    that's exactly what it was.i took the filter out before and there was not oil in the compartment. I took it to yamaha dealer since i couldn't figure it out, they said there was oil in the intake manifold (the tube) they cleaned it up and lowered the oil level since it was too high. I took it to the lake and it runs great.we put three ours on it that day without any issues. I hit 89(km/h) by myself and 84 with two passengers.pulls tube without problems. Not bad for used and abused machine . If i can get couple of seasons out of it i'll be happy for what i paid for it.
    Thanks for any help.it's very appreciatrd.

:

Thread Information